Author Topic: 10 month old weaning? Low supply?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:55:32 am »
My son is 10 month old. He is breastfed, in daycare a few days a week, which I pump a bottle for. He feeds when he wakes up, before nap, before bed, and once in the night (we are working on night weaning though). He sometimes would snack on a pumped bottle throughout the day.
The last few days he has refused a bottle (or sippy cup) at any point at daycare. So no milk all day. He ate lots of solids. Coincidently, he slept a longer than normal stretch one night recently and I embedded up with borderline mastitis. It didn't quite get to the point of fever, but definitely tender, hot breast, very red, etc. Ever since that (4 nights ago), that beat doors not seem to produce much. It always feels empty and he doesn't seem satisfied after feeding off that breast.
I should mention, I struggled with oversupply to begin with, I'm sure my other best can keep up but it writes be nice to be balanced. I can pump 6-8oz while he's at daycare with ease from the good breast but lucky if I get 1 from the other.
I guess I'm just wondering if I should be concerned? If he's starting to wean? Any tips or suggestions. Thanks :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 10 month old weaning? Low supply?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:10:26 am »
It doesn't sound like he is weaning if he will happily take at least one breast. Maybe he just isn't keen on bottles? I wouldn't worry if he is eating solids and having BFs morning and evening at this age plus more feeds on non-daycare days. Perhaps try a straw cup with breast milk or even  just water to make sure he gets enough fluid.

So did the sore breast get better on its own? Did you check with your Dr?  Perhaps try starting and ending each feed with that breast and having the other breast in between for a while.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 15:55:27 pm »
I want to apologize for all the typos. I used my phone and have a feeling a lot of auto correcting was taking place. Thanks for the reply.

I will try out a few other cup options. My big concern was that he was getting enough. Sounds like from what you say he is.  He loves water so staying hydrated is easy for us.

The breast is now better. I did a lot of nursing, pumping after hot showers, and it seems to have cleared up on it's own. The supply still seems very low. I'll try all weekend the starting and ending with that one, hopefully it will come back.