Author Topic: Cluster feeding  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: April 01, 2016, 21:53:13 pm »
Why does Tracey recommend stopping cluster feeding at 8 weeks? My daughter is 7 weeks and still wants to eat at 4,6 and then I wake again to feed her at 8 or 8:30 before I try and sleep.

I haven't continued the dreamfeed because I can't pump very much milk and so desperate for sleep so I let her wake to eat around 12.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Cluster feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:51:57 am »
I don't have the books anymore so I am not 100% sure but I wonder if it was to avoid turning it into a habitual/snacking thing? Tbh though the things that are now know about bf mean the books are out of date in that regard and frankly if it works for you and your lo then by all means carry on until it becomes an issue. Sounds like it is working to get you both a nice stretch of sleep! We did not df with DD3, she would not rouse at any time I tried, and it worked out fine just feeding when she woke.
Heidi

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:20:00 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply! I figured it was a habitual thing and I'm a little afraid of that but it's the only thing that's working at the moment. I'm hoping to try and stop after another week and push the 6:00 feeding forward and bit and stop waking her at 8.

I appreciate the advice! X

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:22:48 am »
Good luck with it...just keep in mind during growth spurts she may naturally go back to that temporarily!
Heidi

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:06:22 am »
Just an update and question. So we've stopped the waking at 8:00 and added the dreamfeed. But she's still waking after 3 hours at night and hungry. She's 11 weeks now. I know I'm supposed to add calories during the day but that's so much harder with breastfeeding because I don't know how much she's getting. I added in a top off feed before all naps and that hasn't seemed to help either.

Is that still normal for an almost 3 month old to still wake at 3 hours throughout the night?

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 13:52:16 pm »
Oh yes completely normal!
Heidi

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 19:51:47 pm »
Okay, thank you!!!