Author Topic: BF and night weaning  (Read 1961 times)

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
BF and night weaning
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:42:54 pm »
Hi there,

my DD is 10 months old and wakes at least twice per night to feed. when she was 8 months old she slept through a few times which was wonderful. also, a few months back we weaned the first NF which happened around 12am and it wasn't a problem at all. it seems now that she is older she is much more demanding a feed and does not settle without it. she still gets a DF too which is fine for me. she recently moved to 1 nap as we got terrible long NW's. she has a massive A time and handles it without problems. I kinda started feeding her more around the time when she had those long NW's just to get her down better as I was so exhausted from being up for hours. so my question is, is it possible to wean at night and continue to BF? my older girl was bottle fed at this stage so we didn't encounter these problems. a lot of my friends are still feeding their toddlers at night and this is not something I wanna do but at the same time I want to continue BF. any encouraging stories to share?
Franziska

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: BF and night weaning
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:25:19 am »
Yk I honestly cannot remember what I did with DD3 regarding night feeds! Hopefully someone with btdt will pop on but for sure you can wean nf's and keep bf otherwise (it may take some work though if it has become a bit of a prop).
Heidi

Offline vansmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 23:01:31 pm »
If possible send dad in instead of you to settle if baby isn't hungry. Dad can use a paci if baby takes one or jus rock/other technique. Seems like after a while my kids weren't as interested in waking for that :).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 21:49:53 pm »
Yes we weaned NFs at 12.5mo and 15mo with DS1 and DS2 and I went on to BF them until 26mo.

We sent DH in to resettle DS1 (as he was used to DH putting him to bed anyway) with a PD and WIWO combo.
I just sat with DS2 and settled him with my hand and voice from next to the cot then did a gradual retreat to outside the door.

I told them mummies boob is needed to sleep too so there would be no more milk at night. It took about a week.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 19:17:41 pm »
thanks for the encouragement. I just went back to work today, so will hold off a little on night weaning as I don't want too many changes for her but maybe in a few months...
Franziska