Author Topic: Tips on getting LO to feed more during BF  (Read 1467 times)

Offline KiusMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Tips on getting LO to feed more during BF
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:07:52 am »
Hello,

So my LO is 7 months old(corrected age), 8.5 months (actual age). He'e been mostly breastfed since birth, with few top-ups of formula or given formula when I was not able to breast-feed. He has also been given EBM in a bottle in the initial 3 months when he was not strong enough to do all feeds on the breast. But after about 2-3 months of giving him one feed on the bottle I stopped and just exclusively breastfed. Big mistake!!

My question is since the past few months, he feeds very less on the breast during the day (5- 10 min. on one side only). The last feed of the day and the NFs( which are a lot) are ok, but even they are not from both the sides at times. Also I started working part-time since past 2 weeks and he now refuses to take EBM or formula from a bottle. He might take around 20-30 mls , but its a struggle to get even 100 ml for one feed into him.We have tried a cup and a sippy cup.

I am aware that he because he's probably taking his major milk intake during the night he's not feeding as much during the day. I also co-sleep which is probably contributing to the problem. However  I have tried to resettle at night without a feed and there is a lot of resistance. Is there a way that I can encourage him to feed more during the day so that he is not so hungry for the milk at night?? He's also on 3 solid meals as of now.

Thank you so much

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Tips on getting LO to feed more during BF
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:21:06 am »
It's still normal to have 1-3 BFs at night at this age but I'm guessing you are doing more?

5 minutes may well be full feed by this age. My 3 were down to 6-8 minute feeds by 4mo. The night feeds are probably so long as he is sleepy and dozing rather than he is taking significantly more at those feeds.

How does he go to sleep in the day? It could be a BF prop meaning he looks for the breast to resettle every time he wakes.

It could also be time to drop a nap if he is still having 3 naps or to extend the time between feeds perhaps. Could you post your EASY for us to take a look please?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline KiusMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 00:34:31 am »
Hi Ali,
Thank you so much for replying. Yes I am doing atleast 3 -4 feeds during the night. Sometimes the feeds are really loonng cause we both r sooo sleepyyy with both of us falling asleep and he then feeding throughout till I remove him and put him in the crib. He usually wakes up within 45 minutes of doing this.

Yes the child health nurse told me that 5- 10 mins should be good for a baby his age, however I find that I have a lot of milk remaining after the feed. Also the slightest noise or someone coming in the room during the feed distracts him and then he does not want to feed anymore.

He is on 2 naps during the day but his daytime sleep is not great. I try and put him awake and calm in his crib for his nap and then pat him while singing a lullaby till he falls almost asleep. For bedtime unfortunately I think I have not got the time right yet, cos he usually falls asleep towards the end of the feed , so he is almost asleep by the time I put him in his bed. Here's his rough EASY

EW - 6.30 ( BF from one side and stay asleep till 7)
WU - 7.10/-7.20 ish
Breakfast ( Wheat Cereal) - 8.30 am ( he's normally very hungry by now)
Sleep - 9.30- 9.45ish
BF - 11.00
Lunch - 12.30 (very hungry by now)
Sleep - 1.30 - 1.45ish
BF - 3.30-3.45ish (sometimes takes both sides but doesn't feed a lot from either side)
Dinner - 5.45-6.00
Bedtime feed - 7.00 - 7.30
Asleep by 7.45-7.50

Night Wakings
---------------
2.5 hrs after he falls asleep
NW1 - 10.15ish - 10.30ish
NW2,3 - 1.30 - 4.00
NW4/EW - Between 6.15 - 6.30
Awake for the day - By 7.15

I am fine with 2 feeds during the night, but I was hoping it would not be more than that ,given his age. Also for the naps, he will always get up at the 45 min mark and I have to rock and pat him to get him back to sleep. Mostly he will settle but sometimes he does not and he's cranky after about 30 mins of happy time of getting up. I guess I have a combination of problems..but was thinking if his feeding is sorted it will help his naps/night sleep and I can work more on independent sleep then..

Thank you for taking a look at this once again!!

Offline KiusMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 00:26:43 am »
Hi Ali,

Hope you are doing well. LO is a bit down with fever at the moment, also he's teething n has his bottom and front teeth cut. So I am waiting on sleep training for now. Although with the meds, he's sleeping a tiny bit better. Could you please take a look at my EASY and let me know your thoughts? Also any thoughts on how I can encourage him to have EBM/formula ina sippy cup or bottle?? He just refuses it totally and waits for me to come home... :(... v unhappy in the meanwhile.

Thanku again so much!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 18:54:39 pm »
Sorry for the delay in getting back on here.

I'd say he almost certainly needs a big push in those first two A times.  You'll probably have to increase it gradually but I'd aim for him to be awake for at least 3hrs before putting him down for a nap. 45 min naps are usually UT.

Don't be afraid to offer the breast again after a nappy change and burp for example.

And yes distraction is huge by this age. Many people have success with feeding in the still dark bedroom as soon as LO wakes.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011