Author Topic: 4 month old refuses to feed in the mornings  (Read 1461 times)

Offline ILoveEwanTheDreamSheep

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old refuses to feed in the mornings
« on: April 24, 2016, 16:26:58 pm »
I'm new to this forum, and posting for some advice about my 4 month old little boy. I've been trying to follow the EASY routine since he was small, as it really appeals to me as a compromise between a strict routine and no routine at all!

Unfortunately I've really struggled as he will not eat on waking in the mornings, and never has done. He also takes very short naps. He also fusses a lot during daytime feeds. He is growing fine (on 50th percentile) 

A typical day for us might look like:
7am awake
8:30 nap
09:15 awake
Might feed, but often does not or only feeds a tiny amount
1100-11:45 nap
Again may or may not feed on waking
1pm hungry cues - generally has proper feed
2-3pm nap
3pm not hungry as fed at 1pm
Feeds around 4pm - cries and acts hungry but feeding is a real struggle
Nap 4:30-500
Feeds around 6:15
Bath/bed at 7-7:30 (does feed to sleep)
Feeds at 10pm, 1-2am and 5am like clockwork

Daytime feeds are also often a real struggle, worth him pulling off the breast, arching his back and crying. I don't think he has reflux as he sleeps and plays on his back absolutely fine.

So, I feel that he feeds better and more frequently during the night than during the day, and could be 'reverse cycling' and taking most of his calories at night. I would happily continue this with his as I just want to provide for his needs, but we are both getting really tired!

My questions are:
Has anyone else had these problems?
Is there any way to get him eating in the mornings? I feel that if he did, we'd have a much better start to the day, be able to have a routine and he'd take in more of his calories during the day time
Why is feeding so difficult during the day?

Thanks so much for reading this far... Any advice would be most welcome as I'm really struggling with lack of sleep, and worrying that he is getting enough milk.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 4 month old refuses to feed in the mornings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 16:42:30 pm »
If he is regularly having a 5 am feed then I can see why he would not want a feed first thing on wake up. 3 feeds overnight is about where we were at at that age I think. With the back arching, fussing - do you have over active letdown or oversupply?

Routine wise I would look at lengthening that first A and going towards 2 naps and a catnap - 4 months is usually when they transition from 4 to 3 naps (though with ebf babies they often aren't able to last the whole 4 hours between feeds, we did top ups 20-30 min before nap time).
Heidi

Offline ILoveEwanTheDreamSheep

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 18:17:27 pm »
Yes I do have oversupply. I often need to unlatch him and let him suck on his dummy during the letdown. At night he manages fine though. How would you lengthen the 'A' time in the morning?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 21:15:06 pm »
I see his other A times are 1:45 & 2:15 respectively - does he handle those times okay? For the morning I would try maybe 1:45/2 hrs and see - but perhaps make it a very laid back A time at first so he doesn't get OS.

Heidi