Author Topic: How much/often BF at 10 months?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
How much/often BF at 10 months?
« on: April 27, 2016, 00:10:08 am »
I am in new territory now. I stopped BFing my other two LOs at 4 and 6 months for various reasons. DD2 is now 10 months and we're still going. I am content to continue BFing as long as she likes but have recently become very much exhausted by pumping midday at work. I know mothers who have pumped for an entire year exclusively for babies who never latched, mothers who pumped beyond 1 and even 2 years. Mothers who nursed and pumped for a long time. I always feel like I am rushing to squeeze in pumping and ideally I would like to stop.

I have only pumped a couple of times the past two weeks during my lunch at work. Otherwise I've just skipped and waited until I've gone home and nursed. I am not overly full and my body is handling this fine. I also believe DD is getting enough milk as she still nurses a lot overnight which I haven't tried to stop because I knew I had to work and that she'd get enough that way. So currently her day might look something like:

6:30-wake and nurse
7-breakfast
9-11/12-nap
12-wake and bottle (about 5oz, never made it up to larger bottles)
1 or so -lunch
2-3 or 4-nap (can change based on the day and the earlier nap length)
4/5-bottle if I haven't gotten home yet, otherwise nurse as soon as I get in the door (and even after a bottle she often wants to nurse anyway-she often does not have the second bottle)
5/6-dinner
6:30-7:30-nurse and bedtime (again depends on the timing of the earlier naps
NFs around 11, 2/3, and sometimes 5--a bit much for her age but I wasn't pushing to get rid of them. That may be why she doesn't always want that second day time bottle.

Sometimes she doesn't finish that first daytime bottle.

How much is enough? Can I cut out the midday bottle and just nurse morning, after work, bedtime and over night? I'd pump at home at night but it's hard to fit it in with the other LOs and bedtime as DH isn't home at that time. Plus then I worry she'll wake up and want to nurse and I'll have just pumped and have no milk.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How much/often BF at 10 months?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 00:56:35 am »
Just giving you a bump...we were phasing out at this point and doing some formula feeds so I am not entirely sure! How many night feeds are there usually?
Heidi

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:18:44 am »
At 10 months my BF DD had the following feeds:

NF: at least 1, sometimes 2 - usually 1-2 ish and 5-6 ish
She would not feed on wake up if she had the 5:30 feed but would if it had been a couple of hours
Then her feeds would be approximately:

10:30 before nap
2:30-3:00 after lunch
7:00 BT feed

She eats a good amount of solids for 3 meals too but no snacks yet really at that age.

So you seem to have 4 day feeds + 3 NF's honestly it seems like a lot so I personnally would not be worried about replacinh a feed with a snack? We have recently (DD is 11 months this week) introduced goat's milk to drink with her snacks so that may be something to consider too (is she still mspi?)

I totally get how you feel about pumping. I've spent tons of time pumping for 10.5 months but recently decided I had enough and that is when I introduced goat's milk.

HTH
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 22:39:03 pm »
It's been a while but I do know that dd1 was nursing 2x a day plus 2 bottles at that age. 
Dd2 was nursing 2x a day (sometimes 3) and having a bottle midday (I was working and couldn't ever find time to pump either!).
Ds nursed 4x a day plus a df and a nf.  We dropped the df around 11 months and he finally let go of that night feed around a year.  I dropped him to nursing morning and night around 13/14 months and he was totally weaned around 16 months.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 14:11:22 pm »
Yeah, I would say most days she has 3 full milk feeds but also does some clustering toward bedtime (maybe making up for me being at work all day?) and then she still wakes 2 or 3 times at night, again, I think a combination of making up for me being away AND comfort/habit now that it's been going on so long.

I'm not 100% sure about the MSPI. She had been sick, then I trialed buttery which seemed okay and then yogurt (not me, her eating it) and she had a rough night of coughing. I backed off giving her any to trial but I became a little lax about what I ate. If something had some buttery or slight hidden dairy and didn't fret but I steered clear of cheese, milk, ice cream and really obvious dairy. She was doing well and then got sick again recently with a tummy bug so had loose stools from that. Anyway, I use almond and coconut milk for substitutes for myself right now. I haven't seen goat's milk when I have been shopping. Do you think I could let her have coconut or almond milk?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 17:36:58 pm »
At 10 mos I would expect 4 full feeds during the day.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:20 am »
I would say that at that age you can definitelly go for stopping the daytime nursing and giving her additional milk. I would say that she still needs it (average would be probably 3x full bottles or 3/4x full feeds per day) but if you have 2/3 night feeds - it seems that she is getting what she needs.
With nursing in the afternoon I would just make sure she still eats her dinner. Around a year when most of her energy may come from solids you may want to work on those night feeds to cope well with it.

Re almond/coconut milk vs goat ones - I always thought that coconut or almond ones are not a proper milk which is giving you the same values as cow/goat milk as they are plant-based and called milk only because of a color:). Not saying that they don't have tons of good ingredients but I guess for a kid under 1 I wouldn't think of replacing your milk/formula with almond/coconut. HTH
~Marta

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 16:52:30 pm »
Hadn't picked up on that qu but you should certainly not give anything but BM or formula before one. Plant-based milk substitutes are not suitable. I drink them myself :) but they're not for babies. Nutrition wise it's got to be BM or formula.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 21:22:55 pm »
I'm not keen to introduce formula at this stage so I'll stick with just BM for now then.

Weaver, I thought it was 4 full feeds in the day. I think she actually gets that amount but just spaced out differently because of the schedule/me working. Maybe I'll have to work the pumping in at a different time somehow for a little longer.

And thank you for the info on the plant based milk verse animal milk.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 22:12:50 pm »
Mine were all on 4-5 feeds a day at that age. I'd say 3 BFs is the absolute minimum you'd want to aim for at that age but most babies whom are fed on demand would be having more. You can include any night feeds though if you are happy to continue with those for now.

If it were me I would either hold out for 2 months when she turns one or I'd skip the midday feed and pumping and just let her take more at other times if you are desperate to stop. At this age she could fill up on solids during the day and make up any extra breast milk outside of your work times.

I wouldn't worry too much about her wanting to feed after you pump at night. By this age at least some of those NFs are probably mostly for comfort and there is always milk being produced. Your breasts are never truly empty.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 22:20:44 pm »
That makes me feel better, Ali! I can probably pump after she goes to bed.