Author Topic: 6m old suddenly rejecting bottle  (Read 1606 times)

Offline katerinask

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
6m old suddenly rejecting bottle
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:01:26 am »
Hi everyone,
Your thoughts as always would be much appreciated! I've read a few of the helpful posts here, but thought I could use your opinion on our specific situation as well :)

Although our LO was exclusively breastfed, we introduced a bottle early on, as soon as breastfeeding was well established, as Tracy suggests. My husband always did the DF with a bottle of my expressed milk, and she always drank much more this way (plus gave me a nice break). At around 3 months, I returned to work on a part time basis, so most of the time she would only need 1 (or 2 at the most) milk feeds in my absence. She would always take the bottle from my mother who took care of her, apart from the random occasional hunger strike. She went through a few spells of rejecting the bottle, but then returned to it with no problem like it never happened. A few weeks ago we started introducing formula, which she drank quite happily, when my frozen BM supplies began to finish. We mixed formula with BM at the beginning and then gradually left just formula. She didn't seem to notice any difference, so we thought we were through the transition successfully!

2 weeks ago this suddenly changed. She is absolutely refusing the bottle, at all times of day, regardless of who is offering it, or what milk the bottle contains (tried a couple of brands, plus expressed milk). She will scream at the sight of the bottle, before you even touch her lips with it. It's not as if she tries and gets frustrated with the nipple of something... We have tried walking her and offering the milk in a sippy cup (which she uses happily for water), but as soon as she realized there was milk in it, she refused it. She will simply not drink any milk from a bottle, until I get home and then she will take the breast like there is no tomorrow! One day she waited for 7 hours...

She is eating small quantities of solids now, so it's not that she will starve while I'm away, but it's not good for her to go without milk for so long. Plus it means that I can't be away for any of the crucial milk feed hours, like bed time.

Any ideas? I am very confused, because she used to have no problem at all and now it's like she has suddenly chosen the breast over the bottle permanently. I want to continue breast feeding while I am at home (early morning, late afternoon, bed times etc), but also be confident that she will drink milk while I'm at work or elsewhere!

Help  ???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6m old suddenly rejecting bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 19:41:27 pm »
I'm sorry, I have no idea as I didn't breastfeed at all.

I'll get some breastfeeding eyes for you, that may help with ideas or I may need to move you over to the breastfeeding board. That may sound odd, but on the breastfeeding board there are some ladies who have done both whilst here on the bottle feeding board most of us have only bottle fed ;D

Laura

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 6m old suddenly rejecting bottle
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 22:22:31 pm »
Loads of tips here Breastfed babies and bottles

When my 4mo refused the bottle of EBM we had a 10-day break and then offered again and she took it fine after that.

If you recently returned to work it could be in protest against that and her way of letting you know she prefers the breast.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011