Author Topic: Burp after dreamfeed or no?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:11:52 am »
This may need to go to the bottle feeding board. But do you ladies give pumped breastmilk for the dreamfeed?

And if so, do you burp after?

My LO is extremely gassy from about 5:00am until wake up. She grunts and passes gas for those 2 hours. I usually just hold her because being on her stomach seems to help some and gives her comfort.

Just wondering if it has to do with the bottle given during the dreamfeed and not being burped after? I burp her after her 3:00am feeding though

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Burp after dreamfeed or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:46:53 pm »
I never did but we didn't do the DF for long. I can't imagine the DF is causing issues at 5am if there is another feed in between though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 17:27:03 pm »
Have you tried BF-ing the DF? I know it could be a chance for you to have a break if given by bottle, but if she doesn't take other bottles (?) then perhaps you could rule out the bottle being a problem by trying to BF directly for a few days? If there's no change, perhaps it's not the bottle? I never found it easy to burp mine after the DF without waking them up completely, but I did manage it for a little while when DD was very young, can't quite remember the age though, it's all a blur now :P

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 19:35:51 pm »
Never burped either of them at DF (or generally tbh).  Normal enough for babies to be wriggly/in light sleep from 5 am ish. 

As Ali says I would doubt you could feed her, put her down, have her sleep, get her up for another feed, and *then* have the DF cause issues. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 19:42:37 pm »
I DF my 16 week old at 10.30pm never burps, I just have him upright on my shoulder for a bit because of his reflux. After his feed at 4am or whenever burps then.
Zoe

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 00:34:43 am »
Thank you all for the replies. You all are right and thank you for the ideas and advise. I've come down with a cold now so I've got to get all the rest I can but will try BF the DF once I'm well.

I figured the bottle feed wouldnt completely cause all the gas issues at night but wondered since she's not being burped, if that built up air not coming out in a burp form would take awhile and come out the other end later ;)

I guess it's normal for has to build up at night anyway. She's very gassy and has painful reflux so I guess nothing would really change that except age and time. Thank you all again! Xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 19:10:58 pm »
Hope you're feeling better soon :-* Is she on meds for reflux? Could the dose need increasing? Or move to something stronger?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 19:18:33 pm »
Good point, chances are if she's been through the 4 mo GS then she's gained weight and might need an adjustment x
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 17:22:07 pm »
Yes she's on the highest dose the ped feels comfortable with. I'm about to start a new post about fenugreek supplements. Curious if other moms have had issues with it. Wondering if it's causing gas pains??