Author Topic: Advice please...problems bf 5 week old  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Jay2512

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 06, 2016, 13:50:04 pm »
Looking for any advice. 5 weeks old, exclusively breast feed has just started to roll his head to the side each time he is breast fed and unlatches himself. He then immediately looks for the breast again, latches on, turns his head and comes off again. And it goes on and on. Was doing ok up until a few days ago and then all of a sudden kept turning his head. Thought he might not be hungry but even after a 3.5hr gap after his last feed he keeps doing this. Any idea of what's going on and how to rectify this? He does have reflux but wasn't doing this prior to 5 weeks so didn't think reflux was the issue. Doesn't do this at night though I presume because he's sleepy already.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: Advice please...problems bf 5 week old
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 20:08:03 pm »
Can you go to a bfing group and ask them to look? Or contact a lactation consultant?

I'm not sure a 5 wk old would have sufficient control to roll his head repeatedly on purpose (?!) so my first idea would be to check your position - are you supporting his head adequately? Do you feel he has a good latch (your nipples don't hurt or look flat after feeds)?  How long does he feed before he takes his head away?  And he keeps doing it throughout feeding?  So he is taking a full feed but with lots of breaks?  That must be driving you batty!  Is it the same on both breasts? Or does he do it more on one side than the other?

Here's a refresher on latching which might help. 
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:when-latching&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 20:31:06 pm »
Was there a GS just before this started happening? Is he doing it at letdown and then ok after it settles (say a minute or two into the feed)? DS definitely had the head control to do that and rather than unlatching, he would clamp down and shake his head, so at least your LO is unlatching... sorry, just read it again, he's turning with the nipple in his mouth then letting go when he's turned his head far enough?

Reflux can get worse (at least, more painful) as babies get older as the acid is burning rawer flesh - natural protection is lost over time - and often is first noticed at 5-6 weeks when this occurs - it could be related to the reflux and he could well need medication to control it. How are his weight gain and nappies? Reflux is often suspected with overactive letdown and/or oversupply as well - so worth working out what it is :)

Here's some info that may be helpful:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information
Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

Offline Jay2512

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 22:10:06 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies  :) 

So, with regards to the feeds themselves...
He has always been a short feeder, usually about 5-10mins. Breasts don't hurt so didn't think latching was an issue but was going to go to a breastfeeding clinic anyway. He actually has the nipple in his mouth and turns his head to the point that he latches off. He keeps on doing this for the duration of the feed or to be honest as long as I let him, trying to get a feed into him! It doesn't seem to be related to let down. That constant on/off was starting to hurt and it was driving me nuts!  I've resorted to doing sleepy feeds in that I wake him up just a little bit and feed him in a semi-doze state. He does It when feeding from either breast.

He is on meds for his reflux which has improved since its started. Although still possets, the volume and the frequency has reduced and it isn't disturbing his sleep as much. We are waiting a paediatrician appointment still. He is gaining weight and has lots of wet and dirty nappies. I hope the reflux is not getting worse? Could it be related to tirednes? Could he be rolling his head from side to side as they do when they are tired but just doing it at the breast?

Any further thoughts? Thanks for the links. Over supply and fast flow are probably an issue too but I'm already doing the coping strategies as suggested In the links.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:17:35 am by Jay2512 »

Offline Jay2512

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:10:19 am »
Oh yeah.... Not sure about a growth spurt but he has been cluster feeding every 1.5 hrs from about 3am in the morning for the last week.

Offline weaver

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:36:45 am »
There's a big GS around 6wks.

It does sound like he's trying to "take a break" from feeding so could be related to fast flow.   I'll be interested to see what they say at the BFing clinic. "laid-back" BFing might be the answer - think about your day and night feeding position - are you maybe less upright in the night time? That might help as it would slow the flow down a bit for him.  I would try different positions if you can. Good idea to do sleepy feeds :) 

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/some-ins-and-outs-laid-back-breastfeeding
http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 20:51:01 pm »
Oh yeah, we had the clamping much worse after a growth spurt - just had to really be careful to lie back to feed and let my supply settle again after them.

Offline Jay2512

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 18:58:42 pm »
so have tried bf whilst lying back and also ended up trying colief. With that you have to express some breast milk to give the drops so it might even be helping with the fast let down. Not sure what it is that has worked but little man has stopped turning his head at the breast! 😄😄😄

Thanks very much for the advice. 😄

Offline weaver

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 19:14:45 pm »
Great stuff! Well done sorting it out.