Author Topic: 6 week old refusing feeds  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 20:55:58 pm »
We have done 4 sessions of cranial osteopathy but not seen any results. LO wont latch at all, as soon aa she senses the breast the starts crying and turning away. I could cry too. We have been doing bottles for too long now so I actually stoppes yesterday and will only do finger feeding. Im desperately hoping that once LO is off the bottles she will be more willing to come back onto me. I feel like Im fighting a lost battle though. I got in touch with a new LC but sje didnt sound confident at all, she said maybe a new position will help but I really dont think this is about positions.
So we are taking it day by day with alot of sadness and sometimes tears but Im nt ready to give up on my dream of bf fir a year and a half.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 21:24:39 pm »
Hugs hugs hugs xx

You're doing so well.

I do think stopping the bottles will help. We have an awful start to BFing as I ended up with a breast abscess and nipple shields and pumping and bottles. Fading the bottles helped a lot.

When things were tough and I needed to up supply I took to bed with my DD3 and just did loads of skin to skin an dlet her take the lead with feeding. Feeding lying down really helped too as it was much more relaxing for us both.

Holding your hand. Take one feed at a time xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 6 week old refusing feeds
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 21:35:59 pm »
Sorry you haven't had more success. Big hugs.

Have you considered using a supplemental nursing system and sneaking the breast in midfeed transferring it from finger to breast perhaps?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:37:02 am by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 19:01:10 pm »
sorry to hear about all this. it sounds like nipple confusion and she may have learned that being on the breast is distressing as she can't get at the milk, hence the strong refusal. the lactation aid sounds like a good idea and loads of skin to skin in bed lying down might help too. let her find the breast if she wants without any pressure, if not just snuggle, taking a warm bath together might relax her too. or maybe you could pump exclusively? I know its not the same but at least this way you could continue to provide your milk? I think at this stage you have to think a little about yourself too, your mental health is important too! when I was in a similar situation (although we never had that degree of breast refusal) I set myself little goals, like I "had" to feed until 4 months, then 6 months, then 9 months and so on. now LO is 16 months and gets very excited about feeding. I really really think its tongue tie and I can't understand that nobody is spotting it. the symptoms you describe just sound like anything I know about TT (and I know a lot since I learned the hard way...) moving away from the bottles is important too, could you cup feed her maybe?
Franziska

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 20:50:22 pm »
Hi all
Just an update. We have been finger feeding for nearly a month now. LO will not nurse from me at all still. We have seen 2 more peads who say no tongue tie or any physical issue why Lo wont nurse. I have been expressing every feed and generally get 30oz a day. Every so often my supply drops from one second to the next and I have to fight for each drop if milk and supplement a feed or so a day with formula. I'm so nervous that my milk will dry up and then I will have lost out not only on the emotional side of nursing but the nutritional value too. For now I just have to take each feed at a time

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 20:04:24 pm »
sorry to hear you are still struggling. are you taking anything to boost milk supply? I think with exclusive pumping that might be advisable. continue to do skin to skin etc, she may go onto the breast some day. how old is she now?
Franziska

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 01:43:30 am »
yes im taking domperidone. If i try stop, my supply goes very very low within a few days
 Is there any problem staying on it long term? LO is now 4 months

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 23:29:52 pm »
Sorry, I don't know. Do you have a patient info leaflet on it?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 14:06:56 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 21:38:44 pm »
I was on it for 4 months and I know of people who were on domperidone for over a year. is your GP prescribing it? doctors don't like women being on it long term especially at a high dose. maybe have a look here:
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-DGS
are you still pumping exclusively or feeding at the beats too? either way, you are doing so well. well done for being so persevering!
Franziska

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 01:28:41 am »
hi, I just notice this. my 10 cents please.
my daughter did tend to refuse a number of  feeds. and she did give me a lot of hard time. we tried one lc and la Leche guys too ( not sure you have this). she didn't want to latch etc etc.
here is what I learned and wanted to pass on to you. (of course, you do want to see if she is a little sick or eliminate any other serious causes. but once that's eliminated, like you said....)
take it easy, feed a little more rarely (as she wants). never help her latch on, she can do it herself. try to relax and do not force feedings. may be even go away for a little if the feeding goes wrong, let your husband take over etc etc. when you are more relaxed, baby will be more relaxed and may want to eat.
caveat, you gave bottle, so may be, just may be, she likes bottle little better now, but that changes. mommy is so much better, she calms with her touch (when she IS calm). so do stay calm please.
we never gave a bottle, went through ton of stress. never had anything to boost milk. panicked a lot, which did make it worse. no one found any problem. as long as baby gains weight, RELAX please, baby eats enough. baby will never ever ever let you underfeed them , they will let you know.
i went through panic attacks just like you,but now she is 2 yo and I wonder WHEN she will stop :) and I have no breast to speak of, so just relax. feed when she needs. by 4 months it became a breeze. as long as you offer when She wants as long as she wants and stay calm, it should help ease tension.
also, what did help me, I think to keep milk supply was feeding on one breast till she "emptied", then to the second.
another note, you will never pump same amount of milk as your daughter will suck out. don't measure. relax.
the answer from most wise people (but felt like insensitive one at the time of difficulties), if she gains, she is good. so I weighed her fairly regularly (may be once a week or every other week for few months).
good luck! I hope this helps a little, I know how scary it can be in the midst of it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:06:19 am by ele »