Author Topic: 6 weeks, still on a 2 hour cycle  (Read 1866 times)

Offline KingCabbage

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 18, 2016, 16:01:48 pm »
My 6 week old never left the 2 hour feedings schedule. Should I be worried? Should I try stretching her to 2.5-3 hours? Once in a while she'll take an extra long nap and eat closer to 2.5-3 hour. But almost always during the day it's 2 hours on the dot. She wakes up and it's time to eat!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 6 weeks, still on a 2 hour cycle
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 18:18:02 pm »
I would probably start stretching it out a little at a time.  How about move to 2hr 15 for a week?
Mine was on 2.5hr E until 4-5 wks and then I started stretching out gradually to the 3hrs.  He didn't manage to stretch from 3 to 4hrs at the 4 month mark though and it was 6 months before he could move to a longer time between milk feeds, when he solids between.  Some LOs are like that for various reasons.

Just to be sure - there are some babies who need to eat more frequently, those who are prem or low birth weight or have medical issues, if you think there is any reason to stay at 2hrs you might want to discuss with your health professional first.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 18:35:33 pm »
Are you breast or bottle feeding?

Both of mine were breast fed and looked to feed every 2 hrs until around 8 wks when they started going 2.5hrs themselves. Neither got to 3hrs until around 12wks. I didn't have to stretch out their feeds, I just followed their hunger cues and they got there themselves.

My sister bottle feeds her baby and her LO also fed every 2hrs for the first couple of months..but then slept through with no feeds at night, as of she was tanking up in the day to go s long stretch at night.

If your LO is showing clear hunger cues & seems to be taking good feeds that frequently  I would go with it. 
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline KingCabbage

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:05:08 pm »
No medical issues - she was on the lower side at birth at 6.7 lbs but has grown steadily since.

I breast feed. I'll just follow her cues for now thnaks guys!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 12:53:52 pm »
Yes my DS was born at 6.1lbs, left the hospital at 5.7lbs and he ate every 2hrs day and night for a good while (and he was FF which is heavier!). I wouldn't stress about it too much right now, maybe try to stretch slightly like creations says, but some just need to eat more frequently.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 14:25:17 pm »
she was on the lower side at birth at 6.7 lbs
Not officially low weight but on the smaller side. I agree to go with the flow, it will either stretch a bit naturally or you can just edge it out a little as the days/weeks go on.  Taking good feeds is the main point, rather than 'snacking'.  It doesn't sound like snacking.