Author Topic: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard  (Read 10128 times)

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Oh help - don't remember it being so hard
« on: August 20, 2016, 02:18:34 am »
hi ladies. I  am really after some positive vibes at 2am as I know it's early days as my DS is not even 2 days. 2nd night tonight and he has been asleep all day and wide awake until at least 3am. He is tired although acts hungry too!!! I can't put him down and now rocking him in my arms. I know that it will get better when he learns day from night but please is there anything I can do as I can't sleep in the day as have two other LO's. You would think I would be ok being no 3!

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:02:40 am »
Just to add to the nights events!! So good news was he slept in Moses basket for 6 hours but not until 330am!!! Any ideas on how to get him to feed in the day rather than cluster feed from 11pm to 3am???

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 09:35:46 am »
Hugs xx

At 2 days old I don't think there a lot you can do. You could wake through the day at 3 hours but baby may just be too sleepy to feed well but I'd encourage that.

Is your OH off on leave? 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:03:05 am »
Congratulations!

You're not alone with 3 kids already are you? Is your OH or any any family not around to help with the other kids while you concentrate on the newborn and sleep?

I'd make sure LO takes all naps in the same room with it light and some noise. Then do the opposite at night with dark room and quiet even when you get him up to feed and for nappy changes.

Night 2 is normally the worst as they wake up and their reserves from the womb start running low. It will get better. Hang in there.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 16:17:00 pm »
Thanks guys. OH luckily around which is great to help with other two. In rubbish at lying down as feel always stuff to do. He's fed a bit more today but has been pretty much asleep all day. Will just have to be patient and not expect too much too soon.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 20:30:00 pm »
Honestly do nothing but rest and feed. Let your OH do the rest. You're the one up all night and feeding.  My OH did everything for the first week and was still getting more sleep!!!  He had two weeks off so did a lot the next week.

Glad he's fed a bit better today x

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:18:07 am »
Thanks Shiv52. Think tomorrow will have to definitely get some daytime sleep. It's 315am and have not yet had any sleep. He fed at 630pm and then have really struggled to feed him since!! He's been asleep in my arms for a while as every time I put him down he cries. He won't feed from me as having latch problems and when I do think he's asleep he screams out suddenly with possibly Timmy pain and wakes himself!! I'm so tired!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 07:57:01 am »
I'd a really hard first week with latch issues too. My little lady was 2 weeks early so think that made things difficult and it was so frustrating as Id BF the previous two for more than a year each. She did end up having a tongue tie which needed snipped.

She slept really well on my DH so hand him over once he's fed and see will be take a good sleep on him and head to bed. And DH can bring him up to you if he needs fed.

Enjoy all the newborn snuggles though. I miss them already.

Hugs xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:02:41 am »
Thanks. Definitely have the blues today. Can't stop crying as he slept on me all night. Milk has come in I'm so engorged he won't latch so off to buy a pump and nipple shield. My DD fed so well and like yours up to nearly a year but I feel ready to give up trying today. So sorry just feeling so rubbish!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:56:52 am »
Awh hugs xxx

I cried and balled for hours day 3. Nipple shields saved my feeding. I found I left her too long between feeds it made it worse. As you know just watch the pumping doesn't make things  worse with the engorgement. That also shows he has obviously been getting enough at feeding if your milk has come in so well.

Hang in there xxxxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:17:53 am »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply it really does help me feel like I'm not being useless right now. Will definitely try the nipple shield first before pumping. Thanks again xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »
I was a wreck that first week and got lots of support here. Without it and my amazing MWs Id have been lost. I'm happy to hold your hand while you get sorted which you will. Lack of sleep doesn't help so sleep as and when you can.

One feed at a time lovely. You'll get there. hormones will not be helping at all x

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 23:14:52 pm »
So far feeding has been a bit better but still struggling on one side. I have tried swaddling too and he has just had two hours in his Moses basket which is great as I slept for most of it too. He has woke again after 2 hours so I have fed him but not entirely sure each time he wakes whether it is hunger or just wind. I do try and wind him but not much success but think that's what wakes him sometimes. Would you just continue to feed each time he wakes at this age in case it's hunger? I don't want to make any wind worse by overfeedunf but I guess you can't over feed a breastfed baby at this age?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:07:58 am »
I'd likely just feed for sure. Those first few days for us were awful. I'm just havjng a flashback to sleeping sitting up with DD3 on me. What worked was letting her sleep on an incline. She was just so windy and burping didn't do a lot. It's not recommended but she slept on a small pillow if I was awake and watching her and at night I inclined mattress with a towel. That really really helped. She got no sleep lying flat.

Hugs xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:05:46 am »
Oh god this is just awful. At least in the day before he was quite happy after feeds, now he's just fussing until he is fed to sleep and this is going on now still at 9am. He had been feeding constantly and think that must have fast let down too as he's now pulling on and off the breast. I've given into a paci as o literally feel sick from constantly feeding. I feel like I'm cracking up!!!

One last question for you. Do you think I am ok to just feed him whenever I think he's hungry as I think by stop watching the clock at this age may make me chill a bit and let him sleep in the day as long as he wants. Should I be trying to wake him at this age in the day? Or should I literally feed and if he falls asleep let him sleep?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 17:29:23 pm by Vally »