Author Topic: Increasing supply/relactation?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline stuckunderhere

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
Increasing supply/relactation?
« on: September 16, 2016, 20:40:45 pm »
Help! My 9 month old has MAJOR food allergies (FPIES) and cannot eat anything. He relies on breast and formula, but we have just had yet another fail this week and now it's his formula. And my milk supply has lowered so much, I don't think I can feed him exclusively on bm at this point and I need to. He needs about 30oz a day in total and I think I about get 16-18oz or so... He may not get any safe foods til over 18months-2yrs old, so I need to work extra hard at this right now. I know this is very far fetched asking this, but does anyone know of any amazing supplements I can take to increase supply (I can't do fenugreek and nothing with food proteins in it like soy, dairy, oats, rice, etc)... And what about those who've gone through this? What did you do? how did you build up to a full supply again?
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Increasing supply/relactation?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 21:33:44 pm »
There are some great tips in our faq Relactation: I stopped nursing, but regret my decision. Can I start again?

I'd strongly recommend getting advice from your medical professional about supplements that would be ok for you due to your son's medical issues.

Big hugs.  It must be very challenging x
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 21:46:53 pm »
Lots of skin to skin and letting him feed as much as he wants to stimulate your production - you'll have to make sure you drink enough.

I'd also second Ali's suggestion to see a medical professional re: supplementation and helping you both wrt nutrition (I would reckon a dietitian could help if they had all the info about what you and LO cannot have).

There are a few mums around who've had LOs with FPIES.

Hugs xx

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 00:09:56 am »
Oh lots of ((hugs)). FPIES is awful!

Have you tried domperidone? You need to have it prescribed by a Dr but it worked really well for me. Otherwise Drink beer, eat oatmeal, drink lots and lots, and skin to skin like pp mentionned.

I also agree with having a nutritionnist help - I know an amazing one in Laval with lots of experience with multiple allergies - PM me if you want her contact info.

I have a friend whose DD3 had FPIES if you want I can give you her contact info, she was on an extremely limited diet for a long time but she totally healed her DD's FPIES with the GAPS diet.
Elise

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:32:45 am »
I'd also second Ali's suggestion to see a medical professional re: supplementation and helping you both wrt nutrition (I would reckon a dietitian could help if they had all the info about what you and LO cannot have).

We are already followed by a GI, nutritionist, allergist and dietician. None of them will help for this matter. And I don't see our pedi for another month to ask for Domperidone Rx. I used it with my first and it worked well (relactated from 0 to almost half supply at 4mo). For now I need to try increasing on my own. I'm using Fennel Oil but it doesnt seem to be enough...

I can't drink beer (and GF beer tastes gross), and oats give me the runs.

I am on many FPIES groups on FB and am looking at GAPS diet. Thanks though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:35:51 am by stuckunderhere »
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 19:43:23 pm »
could you go to see your own GP about domperidone? any doctor can prescribe it. the dose needs to be 3 tablets 3 times per day. In my opinion its the best way to increase milk supply and the quickest. in addition you could also tr to eat oatmeal? not sure if that goes with the food allergies though..
Franziska

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 19:46:41 pm »
ya i cant do oats, almonds, coconut. or any of the major allergy triggers either.
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 20:59:37 pm »
wow thats hard. I just built up my supply from almost nothing to about 25oz a day. I took domperidone, lots of rehidrate sachets (not sure what your equivalent is) slept more and lots of water. good luck!!

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »
thank you
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3