Author Topic: Full?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Gummi_bear63

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Full?
« on: September 23, 2016, 14:10:30 pm »
I had milk supply issues with my son from the start. He's almost 5 months now. By 12 weeks he was finally off a supplement and exclusively breastfed, but I feel all my trouble has made me not super clear about his full signs. Recently(well, for awhile now)  he had started to pull off constantly to suck his fingers and look around. Is this just normal distraction for a growing baby?  It's had me worried my supply is too low and he's bored. If it's normal, How do I know he's done?  Even when he's not distracted I feel like he barely feeds. Is it possible for a baby this age to spend only about 10 minutes breast feeding and be satisfied?  Sometimes it feels like he barely eats all day...and we are having sleep issues so he's feeding more at night than I should probably allow at this age.

I've also found I've eats best when he's sleepy-which is not a great association I know.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Full?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 14:53:34 pm »
The feeds get super fast- in that they get really efficient! It might be that he is stisfied after 10 minutes! Go with it... how oftern is he feeding at night?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Gummi_bear63

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 20:15:00 pm »
I've actually done some work with his night sleep. He actually didn't eat at all last night!  Before that I don't even know. He woke every 40 minutes and I'm not even sure how many of the times I fed him.   Seems like a big change but I guess he was just comfort feeding to get back to sleep or last night was a fluke. Time will tell.

That brings me to a new question. Should I be pumping a little or something in the night to avoid mastitis now that he's feeding less or not at all at night?  Or will that confuse my body. So terrified of getting that. Have had enough issues with breast feeding and my health since my little one arrived. Last night was unexpected so I just hand expressed into a towel a bit to take the edge off. It didn't really hurt I'm just so worried about it. Anyone know what to do?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 21:35:13 pm »
If he's stopped suddenly and you are feeling uncomfortable you could perhaps pump just before you go to bed to empty them out a little (or build a stash). If you don't want to  continue to pump every night though then keep it to a minimum and the extra should decrease as your body levels supply with demand. If you start to feel blocked ducts or pain then you could pump more but otherwise you should be fine. And make sure you wear a bra that doesn't press on the breast tissue, preferably without underwire.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Gummi_bear63

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:13:21 pm »
Thanks!  I think I will use this change to build a bit of a stash as I have nothing now and ease off once I get a supply built up. Was still pretty full this morning even pumping before bed but it was much better. Thanks! 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 20:54:17 pm »
Just remember as the days pass your body will get the message that it doesn't have to make milk overnight and you will be less full in the morning.   
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 19:28:48 pm »
how often does he feed during the day? 10 minutes sounds plenty if its a proper feed. babies of that age often feed better when sleepy as they are less distracted. both of mine became very distracted around 4 months and I had to do the daytime feeds in quiet room. great stuff about the nights but do make sure he gets enough during the day...
Franziska