Author Topic: Eliminated breastfeeding during the nights - Our experience  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Eliminated breastfeeding during the nights - Our experience
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:02:59 am »
I want to share our experience in case that it can be helpful to other mums.

WHY we did it: First of all, I want to highlight that the main reason for eliminating the night feeds was because I desperately needed some rest and, in order to do so, it was necessary to share the NWs with my dear husband. In addition, helping your baby to calm down without eating (BF or FF) is a step forward, because when your baby is ready to sleep through the night his/her stomach will not tell him/her otherwise.
Furthermore, I took my DS to 2 different pediatricians that based on his age 9 months and weight 10 kg, re-assured me that he was biologically ready for staying the whole night without eating. I wanted to continue breastfeeding during the day so I investigated and obtained confirmation that you can wean your baby for the night feeds and still continue successfully breastfeeding, specially after the first 6 months when the lactancy is well established.

WHEN we did it: I was postponing it since my DS had a cold, then he had teething coming and... there was always something going on. I reached a certain point that not having a decent sleep caused that my immune system started failing, so I was constantly getting ill. If you are not feeling well and you have to get up a number of nights non-stop, you end up feeling miserable and a worse mum. By the other hand I was fearing to cause crying and a number of terrible nights for my DS. I imagined him starving... I feared that he had "learn" hunger so his body was counting on the night calories.... But thanks to my husband, we took courage and we did it. He told me that during the weekend he would sleep in the same room than our DS and that he would sooth him without feeding him. He would sleep in the same room, and I would close our bedroom door, to minimize the noise and to ensure that I could get some rest.   

HOW we did it: We followed our standard BT routine that ends when I breastfeed DS and placed him in the crib almost asleep. However, every time my DS woke up, my DH next to him, held his hands and gave him the pacifier. In some occasions just saying shhh, was sufficient. Sometimes he placed our DS on his side by the wall of the crib and tried to block his arms and feet so the baby relaxed. Also once the baby was getting more nervous he took him in his arms in horizontal position, placed the pacifier and sat down (without rocking) in a chair until the baby almost fell asleep. Once he was there he carefully placed back DS into the crib. This happened the two nights during the weekend. The baby woke up as many times as previously and perhaps took longer to get back to sleep but no drama or crying or fighting took place. My fear was that DS was going to get mad with my DH since in other occasions when he had gone to sooth him in the night it had not worked. Also, when we eliminated the night feeds for DS1 with 18 months, we had a terrible week of screaming "my milk!!!!". Nothing like this happened.
We agreed that from 6.00 am onwards I would breastfeed him since from 7:30 pm that was a large stretch. Besides, because from 6.00 to 7.00 am is the standard time when I nurse him before going to work, so it is his Breakfast.
By the way, both days, since I was "used to" nurse him even 5 times a night, before I went to bed I express 150 ml o milk in order to leave my breasts empty and I had no issues with engorgement.

Last night I did take care of the NWs. I slept in my bed and only went to my DS's room when he cried/fussed. This was the first time for me of not nursing at all but soothing DS. I had the confidence of knowing that he was able to stay without eating however I feared that he would associate me with the milk. I wore clean pajamas and a clean night bra in order to try not to smell like milk. He woke up at 12, after trying to calm him in the crib unsuccessfully I took him on my arms with the pacifier on and sat down on the chair until he relaxed. In 20 minutes he was sleeping again. He woke up at 2.30 and then at 6.00. These NWs were not more often than before (we were having 5/6 times) although DS took longer to get back to sleep. Tonight it will be my DH turn, and I will let you know how it goes.

I have to highlight that in parallel we are addressing the NWs, changing my DS routines, and following the very helpful advice from lots of wonderful moms from this site. We know it will take some time. However I have no words to express how wonderful is to be able to rest some nights, specially seeing that it is not causing a negative impact (no drama, no fighting....) in our very loved son. It seems that he is eating sufficiently during the day.

I just wanted to let you know that it is possible - you can do it if you want- and that it is actually easier that what we expected. Perhaps it is an advantage that he is only 9 months?.

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Eliminated breastfeeding during the nights - Our experience
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:19 am »
Congratulations, I'm happy it worked so well for you and that you can get some well needed rest ;) Good luck with the other changes!!

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 15:10:41 pm »
YAAAAY!!! I'm so glad!!!!!!

Thanks for your story and paying it forward for other moms!!!

Good luck with everything else!!! Super happy for you and glad you are getting much more rest

:)
Fabi

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:48:57 am »
Thanks so much for your lovely messages :-)
In the kindergarten they have told me that DS ate much better than other days, and I also have noticed that he consistently finishes all the food that I prepare for him. Previously I cannot say that he was a bad eater but there was always something left over in the plate. It seems that he is definitely shifting his full food intake to the daytime, which I am glad since I always feared that he would be starving in the night...
Still I am bewildered that there has been no crying or drama in the process. I realized that what my DS craves most is our presence in order to get relaxed and happy to continue sleeping.  Last night it was my husband's turn so I have rested really well. He told me that the baby very often was almost asleep but as soon as he left, DS called him back... I wonder if there is some separation anxiety going on.
Anyway, I will continue reporting how it goes this first week without food, in case my comments can help :-)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 20:24:20 pm »
Happy to hear and yes depression anxiety is common around that time!

Try your best during these times to mainly get him drowsy but not fully to sleep with you or your husbands help. That way he knows you all are there, you've relaxed him enough to continue the rest on his own :)

Best of luck! Keep us posted ;)
Fabi

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:20:59 am »
Your advice is spot on FPT23! We aim to calm down our DS without leaving him fully asleep. Always we try to do so without moving him from his crib, and normally the first time he wakes up, this works very well. If he is already very awake and getting nervous we then have to take him in our arms in order to avoid that he gets really angry...

Last night, I was on call, and my LO woke up twice. At 12.00 and at 2.30 (his BT was 7:30, by the way). It would have been an improvement if the second time had not taken so long to re-settle. As soon as he was falling asleep a cough was waking him up!!! It took me almost 2 hours to get him to sleep. Well actually, it was my husband the one that in just 5 minutes after my 2 hours made his magic!. It is actually great to be a team... so it is easier not to loose temper and remain calm, besides sometimes the LOs need a change to re-set their mood.

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:53:50 am »
Last night we continued without breastfeeding during the NWs. DS seems to be already used to it, and he is fine when either of us, my husband or myself go to calm him down.
The problem that we are experiencing is that the second NW takes a long time to re-settle. It is actually in the middle of the night. Then the last 3 hours he sleeps very well, so we are sure that it is not hunger related. Otherwise the longer from last meal the worse (higher frequency) that the NWs would go.
Basically when the baby is very nervous and cannot be calm down in the crib, we hold him in our arms, stroke him, and relax him until he is quite relaxed. Then we place him carefully on his side still holding his body, so he can feel our touch. Then sometimes he rolls over his belly and falls asleep, and other times he just remains in that position and lets himself go.
We realize that we need to improve his routines because we do no enjoy the NWs :-) but we also know now that he is no longer dependent on the feedings to get back to sleep. 

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 10:17:22 am »
I just wanted to share that we had a good night, the first one in months...
Our DS slept from 7:45 pm to 3:00 am non-stop and only had one NW. This is a massive improvement since we had some NWs always around 12.00 and more.
It took me almost one hour to get him to sleep again, which is not great but better than the 2 hours from other occasions, and of course without feeding him. Then he slept straight to breakfast time at 6:45, perfect timing for me to nurse him and get to work just in time.
I am sure that this progress is not related to have stopped the night feedings. There are other factors going on and for sure we expect for some time to get NWs. Our DS will take his time, but we will be next to him in his progress. Still after one week of not feeding during the nights, we feel that it was the right decision for us to eliminate the "eat-to sleep association" and that we have had a great success.

I read some advice from Doctor Sears, supporter of attachment parenting, also giving tips for eliminating the night feeds if the mum feels that it is about time. So overall it is something that I would recommend, despite I was so hesitant for a long time. I include the document for your reference.
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/sleep-problems/night-weaning-12-alternatives-all-night-nurser

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 08:47:56 am »
Just an update.
Our DS continues sleeping much better since he does not nurse during the night. I think that when it was only me trying to calm him down, if I tried and did not succeed I breastfed him and everything sorted. I was not able to gauge if he was hungry or not. When it is 2 am, you are not ready to think clearly and all you want to do is continue sleeping as soon as possible. This was not encouraging him to be a better independent sleeper. However now that we have been for several weeks without nursing and he is totally used to it, if he wakes we have learnt to sooth him in better ways. Also because it is a shared task between my DH and I, we are learning from each other, and I get some nights to rest.
The thing that I am happier about, is that in all this process no "letting him cry" has taken place, and we have felt that our LO has not suffered, never left alone.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 16:16:02 pm »
Hi! Very happy to hear about your better nights!

Sorry I've been missing from this post!

I'm glad to hear :)
Fabi

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 21:15:24 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to write this - I'm trying to figure it out with my LO and it is helpful to read!

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:30:38 am »
I am very happy that our experience is helpful to somebody else. Please Crispysage, let me know how it goes your experience.

By the way, as an update, I must say that we already have had several nights of STTN. Furthermore we have reduced the intervention little by little. We started by soothing our DS in our arms; then only in the crib, relaxing him just by holding his hands and plugging in the pacifier. But nowadays, we are currently just plugging in the pacifier and leaving. We tried this by chance and since we observed that he did not cry and immediately went back to sleep we have continued doing it. It is kind of a modified WI/WO. We have observed that the less that we intervene the better he is getting at self-soothing. The main idea I guess is implementing any changes with baby steps so no crying is involved.