Author Topic: Baby won't take pacifier  (Read 2002 times)

Offline trishr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:36:13 am »
My DD is 8 days old with jaundice so we are feeding a lot to combat. My husband is doing a bottle feed of ebm at 10:30 to help me get some sleep. She will take bottle but is not getting enough suckling time causing her to be fussy and unsettled through nighttime sleep. So we have tried to introduce pacifier for this and other times she is not hungry but wanting to suckle. She refuses the paci. She wants only the breast or sometimes I can let her suckle on my pinky. She tried for her own hands but is obviously too young. In fact we cannot swaddle her arms because she fights until she can get her hands out every time. Do you think it is just too early for a pacifier? I Just don't want to start a bad habit but she is also so young I want to be realistic that for now my breast is what she needs. She is on RASy as best as we can with all the sleepiness.  There are very few times to let her fall asleep on her own since she cannot stay awake well for the feeds.

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Baby won't take pacifier
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 13:18:12 pm »
My DS took a paci from day 1 however it took a few weeks before my DD took one, and I had to experiment with several different types of soothers before we found one she liked.  I'm not that experienced in breast feeding but she could just be trying to establish your supply as well because it is still the early days.  Some LOs never take a paci and find something else to help soothe them, like their hands or later on a lovey.  I'm sure some BFing mamas will pop on here with some great advice, but I would just keep trying but be aware that right now it is normal for her to want to nurse all day long.

Offline Meggyfunk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 15:26:56 pm »
Congratulations on your new little bundle! Our son had jaundice also and the gum drop brand newborn soothies helped us a ton, as well as my hubby's  pinky finger. This was the soothie that the hospital brought us to try during his photo light therapy (I think it was called) for jaundice. What I really liked about this type of soothie is the hole that allows your finger to easily hold it in place until they fall asleep (it kept falling out otherwise). We also tried the mam and nuk pacifiers once we were home, but he never seemed to get the hang of it on his own so we just stopped trying eventually. I was breastfeeding every two hours in the beginning (which worked out to be about every hour and fifteen minutes since it was calculated from the time he started nursing) and really couldn't establish an EASY until closer to two months. Our little Houdini did not do well with swaddle blankets, so we switched to the velcrow swaddle sacks which were much more successful for keeping those little arms tucked in and eventually went with a sleep sack/arms out after a couple of months. Enjoy that sweet new baby!!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 17:21:20 pm »
Congratulations on your new baby! She needs to feed a LOT to get that bill out of her system, so it's not surprising a pack isn't doing the trick. Smart baby knows what she needs!

Feed as much as you can and sleep when you can, and if possible get others to look after you. Can you feed lying down? Cosleep?  Both are brilliant for getting more rest.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline trishr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 04:55:13 am »
Thank you all for your replies.  I have been working hard to get her fed so did not mean to go so long without showing gratitude.  She kind of takes a paci now and as many have said it is those soothies that worked. She had a bit of nipple confusion for a couple of days but that seems to be worked out. Now that jaundice is subsiding on to getting her used to falling asleep on her own. Wish me luck in my next phase 😊

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:47 am »
Good luck!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline alwaystired

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 13:40:07 pm »
Congratulations! My 16 wo son refused a pacifier from the get go. I tried all sorts of brands and nipple shapes but he actual took a new one 2 days ago. Actually my dr recommended it to me because her 9 mo didn't like them either. Its called MAM and the nipple has a bit of texture to it so it stays in the mouth better. I will also add that my son is tongue tied so its almost a miracle we found one. It has helped him fall asleep so much better now.

https://www.mambaby.com/shop/us_us/pacifiers.html

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:12:55 am »
Those are the ones my DS2 liked.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011