Author Topic: Dropping feeds  (Read 1699 times)

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 16, 2016, 21:51:40 pm »
Hi there,

My nearly 10 month olds schedule is as follows:

6.30/7 - up
6.45/7.15 - BF
7.45 - solids 1/2-1 cup of protein and veggies (some of which is finger foods)
9.30  - morning tea - cheese sticks or crackers and some banana
9.45 - BF (are daycare takes 130ml EBM)
10 - nap
11/11.15 wake
11.30/12 - solids - 1/2-1 cup of protein and veggies as above
2.15/2.45 - BF (at daycare takes 220-240ml EBM)
2.30/3 - nap
3.45/4 - wake
5.15/5.30 - solids - veggies 1/2- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp on yogurt, pear and kiwi
7.15/7.30 - BF
7.45-8 sleep

She is well established on solids - though just recently has refused to open her mouth for brekkie, and lunch has been a struggle, however this am I placed her mash on her tray and she so wolfed it down do thinking resistance may have been wanting to feed herself more!

I've started working 2 days and she is in daycare 2 days a week - only been one week so far and I've included the amounts she drinks at daycare.

She does have milk before her naps and though she does get drowsy I give a cuddle which she snuggles into after quick look around the room, then I place her in bed and she's straight to sleep. This is generally the same for the arvo nap...at night it seems like at the moment there is some separation anxiety in play and I stay a foot or two from the cot whilst she drifts off, usually leaving her room before she's fallen asleep - if I leave too soon she stands and rattles the bar and eventually screams. So overalls I'd say she isn't fed to sleep and it's not a prop but it's defo part of her routine for sleep.

So my question...I'm wondering if/when to drop the pre nap feeds? She's just started in the last week or two having morning tea just before and prior to that she was just having one side BF rather than a full feed. I would like to continue BF post 1 yr but had evisaged this being 2 feeds a day morning and evening as shortly after her first birthday I will be working full time.

The one that make sense for me to drop is the morning pre nap first, though I'm also thinking I should look at switching first to brekkie first then milk - initially I didn't do this as she was sooo hungry on waking..l's he isn't now however those work days I need to leave the house at 7.20am and we would ideally like to keep the same wake up time for her rather than earlier....so say she's up at 6.45 getting brekkie in and straight after a milk feed by 7.20 seems a lot to fit in.

My other concern with the switch to solids first in the morning is whether she's going to be super hungry as she's used to have a full feed around 7, and hour later solids, and hours and a bit later a snack then straight after milk....whereas changing it over she's be going 2 plus hours without anything - which as I write it I realise it isn't actually that long ha ha!

I really want to try and avoid an extra pump session in the morning,mash I think a suggestion may be for her to be given EBM a bit after brekkie rather than immediately - I'm currently expressing 3 X a day on work days and once a day on other days (though I poss may not need to keep this up as the first week I pretty much met her need whilst at daycare in the three pumps I did)...

So I guess 2 questions...
1) should I be going breakie then milk and do people thing doing this in 30 mins is realistic or do I need to bite the bullet and get her up earlier?
2) what about starting to drop mi feeds so we're are at 2/3 by 1 - ESP strategies for dropping prenup ones when they are a big part of the sleep time routine...

Thanks in advance lovely ladies!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Dropping feeds
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:34:05 am »
Hello, we dropped our first BF at 10 months. I am trying to remember which one it was now though! He was well on his way to one nap but then so I imagine that I kept the one before nap TBH. At 11 months we then dropped the 3rd feed so were left with the am and BT feeds. I dropped them both by 13 months as he had multiple allergies and it effected my diet so I was keen not to continue to BF past then.

I think that we kept the first BF as soon as he woke up really - nice to have a snuggle and feed at that time  :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 12:59:46 pm »
We just dropped BFs as my kids moved to one nap so that might be worth considering if you think LO is close. I'm guessing she is as neither are that long.

There's no way I'd get a BF and solids done in 30 mins. I think it would be tight.

Have a look at the weaning thread in FAQs for ideas.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 17:25:00 pm »
Mmmmm yes I was wondering whether doing it when she goes to one nap might be the time. Her naps are pretty short, though she's pretty shattered by 10am and goes down like a dream pretty much every time so not sure she'd easily stretch to longer yet - we would have to make the one nap 12 as that's when daycare do it as they do lunch at 11.30...though she's only going two days a week at mo she's going to be 5 days in 3 months time so thinking easiest to follow their times...

Yeah I think it will be tight...we did a trial run yest and I timed with stop watch and we took 35 mins!! Wish us luck for today!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 21:26:49 pm »
Ok, so what do they do, just jump straight from a 10am nap to a 12.00 nap?  I suppose if you need to work around set times like this you don't have much wiggle room.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 22:38:21 pm »
though she's only going two days a week at mo she's going to be 5 days in 3 months time so thinking easiest to follow their times...

She'll 13 months by then and a lot of kids are on one nap by then - or at least can cope with it much better during the week. It is def easier to go with nursery timings IME. They are much more stimulated in the A times and even kids who struggle to nap at home seem to be able to nap at nursery!

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 05:20:34 am »
I asked today and they said you'll/they'll just find they pop her to bed at 10 and she's not ready so will try again a bit later and it'll just move out gradually like that until the hit 12... Which I guess is what I'd lan to do if she was at home with me full time!

She's napping well at the mo at home and daycare...I know we are super lucky! Even when she wakes after a nap she just sits up and waits for someone to come and get her...no crying ha ha! I think it shocked the teachers!

Awesome thanks fir your input guys!