Author Topic: Sleeping through the night but waking early  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Sleeping through the night but waking early
« on: December 20, 2016, 13:57:29 pm »
My 10 month old used to wake between 1 and 4 to nurse.  I always nursed her till she was asleep then put her back down.  She'd sometimes wake when I put her down but always fell back to sleep.

She's currently in a developmental leap and usually is more wakeful at night during these.  Doesn't fall back to sleep as easily when I nurse her, etc.  shes also now sleeping through till 4:30 or later now. But always waking before 6 and usually at around 9.5-10 hours sleep.  Her usually night is 10.5-11.5.

I'm not sure whether to nurse her right away (i tried once and she was restless and took forever to get back to sleep), let her be until she fusses (this is what I've been doing and she fell back to sleep once) then nurse her back to sleep, or let her be until she fusses and get her up for the day.  I have a 5 yo in the next room so can't let her fuss too much and getting up too early is hard because we have to be quiet so as not to wake the house. 

Things usually go back to normal (not as wakeful) after her leaps are done without any real effort, /9 hoping this is just a phase!  But suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Sleeping through the night but waking early
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 04:40:50 am »
Hi there!  Sorry it's been a few days, things are a bit crazy around the holidays for everyone!  Are you still having the same issue?  At 10 months I might try to resettle without feeding first just because you're probably getting to the age where the night feeds aren't totally necessary and because nursing back to sleep isn't happening!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 22:48:50 pm »
Sorr your post was missed.

It's probably also worth looking at her routine in the daytime as it could that she is getting ready for the 2-1 nap transition.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 13:48:16 pm »
Thank you!  Totally understand about the holidays.  Yes we're still having the same issue.  Maybe I should post in the general sleep board?  We are definitely in the 2-1 transition.  If she takes a long am nap we can only afford maybe 30-60 mins in the pm.  Last night she slept 10 hours straight but is now wide awake at 5:20.  The last A time that was working for us before the craziness was 3h45m sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.  So maybe today since she woke at 5:20 and I'm not nursing her back to sleep, I should go for 4 hours?  She's always been one to need a long stretch in the am and shorter in the pm.
Also, she doesn't soothe back to sleep easily.  Once I go in she gets really feisty and wants to eat or play lately.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 13:50:32 pm by Tabathagucci »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 21:34:43 pm »
Have you read the FAQ on 2-1 on the sleep FAQS board? 

Maybe 10hrs is all she needs now until she moves to 1 nap.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 18:59:27 pm »
Hi!  Yes I've read it but I'll go back and reread.  She's finally out of her leap and has been sleeping 11.5-12 hours straight at night.  I pushed her A time to 3h55m and got one long nap the first day but a short nap today. Guess I should just stick with that A time for a few days and if it's not working then post in the nap board?
Thank you!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 21:59:41 pm »
Guess I should just stick with that A time for a few days and if it's not working then post in the nap board?
Sounds good!  It's always good to give it a few days so she can get used to the longer A time.  :)