Author Topic: Help with the 2-1 transition  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Help with the 2-1 transition
« on: January 04, 2017, 22:59:57 pm »
Help!  Naps have fallen apart and can't tell if she's overtired or undertired. LO is 11 months next week and we used to have an A time of about 3h40m with a 90 min am nap and a short pm nap anywhere from 25-50 mins.  The naps were getting short so I was starting to increase A times gradually.  Then she started a developmental leap and her sleep went to pot and we had a long early morning waking (around 4 or 5 am) and back to sleep.  During this time the morning A time was a lot shorter because of the craziness.  Now that we're out of the leap I have no idea where I'm at.
I've been trying a morning A time of around 3h55m to 4 hours.  Some days this gets me a 90 min nap, sometimes a 32 min nap.  Her second A time seems to need to be 3h40m now, which gets me anywhere from 25-60 mins. If I push her longer she rolls around forever and sometimes ends up hysterical so have to nurse her to sleep.  Her last A time is about 3 hours, sometimes a little more or less depending on how long her last nap was.
Anyway, would appreciate suggestions!  Thanks in advance!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Help with the 2-1 transition
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 00:46:20 am »
Going to post some links to read through when you have a chance that might be helpful, but in the meantime, have you considered doing a short AM/long PM routine?  Does she need a really good first A time to fall asleep?  At a certain point most end up switching to this as many LOs refuse the afternoon nap if they've had a good morning nap.

So a rough example would be something like:

WU 6:30
Nap 10-10:45 (capped)
Nap 1:45-3:15/3:30
BT 7

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

I would maybe give it a try and see what happens, if you get a better day/better naps.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 01:07:20 am »
Thanks for replying!  She has always needed a long am A time and short Pm A time.  If she has a short am A time I get early wakings.  I've tried stretching the pm A time and I get early wakings also.  I read the 2-1 transition post in the FAQ and it seems like she would be better suited pushing the am nap.  Her morning nap has always been the good one whereas the pm nap has always been hit and miss.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:16:54 am »
That said, I could certainly try it!  Guess I'm just afraid that I'll get a short on baonand hen bebstuck trying to fit in a 3rd nap, which is basically hell for us!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:54 am »
Yes my DD has always preferred the morning nap as well, and we are well into the 2-1 and I did eventually habe to do the short AM, otherwise she would happily nap 2hrs in the morning, but then that would be it and she'd be awake from 11:30am until BT 😳, she would refuse all PM naps no matter what.  She is 13 months though, and we just moved to that recently.

It might be worth trying just to see, often the PM nap is hit or miss because the morning nap has been so good, so if you eliminate/shorten the good morning nap the PM nap improves.  Either way I think your options are to keep pushing the good morning nap later and adding an afternoon CN, or try for the shorter morning nap.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 13:57:51 pm »
Ok, thank you!  The pm nap has been 50 minutes max even with a short am nap.  I got stuck with two 32 min naps yesterday and she refused a 3rd nap after two attempts and had EBT.  Good news is after a 3.5 hour A time before bed (which was too long before) she's now been sleeping over 11.5 hours.  So it's good to know she can handle that now!  I have a 5 yo in school so think I'll stick with long am nap and cap it if she starts refusing the pm nap so we can have more few time when ODS is out of school.  We're definitely not there yet as she goes down easily for her pm nap.
I guess I just need help figuring out the morning A time.  I'm not sure if she's OT or UT when I get a short nap.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 19:37:25 pm »
I pushed A time to 4h10m and she went down super easy and slept an hour and 25 mins.  So I guess I have my answer!  Will post if things get wonky again!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 00:00:58 am »
Sounds great!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 18:41:48 pm »
Ok now I'm getting night wakings!  We had pretty much perfect days with the new A time last Thursday and Friday. She slept really late Friday morning so assumed she was just catching up so we had a shorter morning A time but she still went down later than the usual time she normally goes down by.  She took a great first nap, had a great rest of the day and then woke at 4.  I let her be and she rolled around for a long while but started fussing around 45 mins later so I nursed her.  She will usually fall back to sleep while nursing but she didn't and seemed restless.  She finally fell back to sleep in my arms and I transferred her back to the crib.  Next night same thing happened but this time she did fall asleep and after transferring her she woke and only slept off and on, waking every 5-20 mins and falling back to sleep after a few mins. Last night she woke at 1:30 and 2:30 but put herself back to sleep, then woke again at 3:30 and stayed awake.  I nursed her at 4:10 and she fell right back to sleep.  Transferred her back to crib and she slept till 6:40 with a brief waking at 5.   

She was sleeping through the night for a couple weeks and if she woke, she would put herself back to sleep, even if it took a while.  Now I'm getting these crazy wakings. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 18:59:40 pm »
How much day sleep is she getting hun?

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 19:13:41 pm »
Usually 1.5 for first nap and 30-40 for second nap.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 13:50:12 pm »
I think I've figured it out.  If she's getting 2 hours of sleep a day, and needs roughly 11 at night and she likes a fairly short second A time and an even shorter third A time, I need to push her am nap even later. I did this yesterday and she's still sleeping.  Unfortunately I'm not, but she is! LOL Will see how it goes over the next couple days.  Thank you for your support so far!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 01:14:10 am »
Sounds great, happy you were able to work it out!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 13:28:05 pm »
Ok so it appears that baby girl has been waking around 4-ish (am) and laying awake on and off till 5-ish but just laying quietly and then drifting back to sleep eventually.  I've woken up a couple times and seen her and the other days I just suspected because she seemed to need to go to sleep earlier than usual for am nap and once I kept her up till her normal time and got an OT nap.
Soooo...wondering if this is developmental or because we need a tweak in our routine?  She is 11 mos now and we're in physical therapy because she's not mobile (crawling, getting herself to sitting, etc.)  She is doing great and progressing towards crawling.
Here is our routine but it varies quite a bit based on when she wakes.
Wake 6 am
Eat (nurse) 6:30
Eat (breakfast) 8
Sleep ~10-11:30
Eat (nurse) 11:45
Eat lunch 1-2
Sleep ~3:10-3:45 or 3:55
Eat (nurse) 4
Eat (nurse) 6:15
Sleep bedtime 6:30/6:45 asleep by 7 usually

Thank you!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 13:31:15 pm »
Ps she also has reflux and allergies but I keep my diet really clean most of the time which helps reflux tremendously.  I do fudge from time to time so this may be reflux waking her too?  Or teeth!  She's been taking mostly good naps but waking early here and there, but she sleeps fine all night until that 4-ish time frame.