Author Topic: 8 mth old doing most BFing at night  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Gillzie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 01, 2017, 23:43:44 pm »
Hello
I have an 8mth old BF baby who has been on 3 solid meals since he was just over 6mths old. Shortly after he started solids he'd sleep through the night a few nights a week but now he wakes nightly  to tank up with milk at 11 (dreamfeed) & between 4 & 6. He drinks so much he wees through his clothes & nappy every night  despite the fact we do a change at the dreamfeed. I'd love to wean him from his night feeds but he drinks so little during the day Im worried he needs the extra milk. Our daily routine looks like this:

7.30 - wake. BF offered but V little taken
8.00 - breakfast (solids)
10.30 - BF offered but again little taken.
11 - nap 45 mins - hour
12.30 - lunch (S)
2.30 - BF (good long feed)
3.00 - 2hr nap
6.30 dinner (S)
7.30 BT  BF
7.45 pm - down for the night
11pm - df  & nappy change( if we don't offer he will wake between 11 & 1.30)
Sometime between 4 & 6am he will wake for another large feed.

Although we started doing EASY at about 8wks, somewhere I started feeding before naps & BT However he typically goes down awake & falls asleep in his cot. On night waking he falls asleep on the boob. any suggestions on how to fix reversed day night breastfeeding? I've tried offering more boob in the day & giving him loads of carbs but no change. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 8 mth old doing most BFing at night
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 00:47:25 am »
Does he take a soother/pacifier/dummy?

Also, what is he eating during the day and how much in a sitting? Might be a matter of tweaking timing or amounts or specific foods.

Offline Gillzie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 16:39:24 pm »
Thanks for your reply. No he does take a dummy. We did baby led weaning & the amount he eats is variable, but we always try to ensure he has a big meal in the evening.

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 18:53:21 pm »
Hmm...is he getting enough fat/protein? Or perhaps too much? Those tend to be filling for longer than carbs.

It also looks like he's taking what would normally be his breakfast feed at the early waking 4-6AM. If you could hold him off till 7 (or at least 6) and start the EASY with that feed, maybe that would eventually shift the cycle. I found that sending my DH in for a night waking reduced the likelihood of my DD looking to nurse, since she didn't associate him with nursing; she'd fall asleep for him with just a dummy, so if that's something you can try for the 4-6AM waking for a couple of nights, it might be worth a try.

Offline Gillzie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 20:25:53 pm »
That's something no haven't tried, but sounds sensible
 My husband has attempted the DF & he yells the house down, but at 6 he may be less drowsy & willing to give it a shot. I'll try it over the weekend when hubby's not working & let you know how it goes.

In answer to the protein question he some every evening but si since he's got no teeth I'm not sure he's getting any nutrients from sucking on a piece of meat :)

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 21:30:13 pm »
He would also get protein from milk, yogurt, or eggs, or from legumes, or from foods cooked in meat broth. :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 00:02:09 am »
Sorry I'm late to the discussion but I thint 2 NFs at 8mo is perfectly within the realm of normal for a breastfed baby. I'd just changed get him before the second night feed as well and let him have it. Maybe look at alternative nappies or go up a size.

You could also consider going straight to a solids breakfast when he wakes in the morning and then give, what will hopefully be, a bigger BF at 10.30. I'd also consider offering another BF when he wakes from his second nap before dinner.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011