Author Topic: HELP! 12 mo partying in the night  (Read 1701 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
HELP! 12 mo partying in the night
« on: April 06, 2017, 00:54:02 am »
Hi everyone.

Mr 12mo has started for the past week or so waking at around 3.30/4 am and doesn't go back to sleep for 60-90 minutes.  He's very alert, moving around in his cot.  We try everything in the night:

- shh/pat
- rubbing tummy/back
- cuddles in the chair
- verbal reassurance
- small bottle (has been night weaned for about 3 months)
- drink of water
- pain relief like teething gel in case it is his teeth moving around again

He is chatting and happy when we go in, but grizzles or screams when we leave the room.

Feeling very tired.  His room is dark, we use white noise, he is warm (in a cosy sleeping bag), he has a comforter and dummy.  He is well fed during the day.  His routine looks like this:

6 am WU (normally - although if he goes back to sleep around 5/5.30 am he is waking up closer to 7 am)
7 am breafast
8.30 am bottle
11/11.30 am lunch
12 pm - 2/2.30 pm sleep
2.30 pm bottle
3 pm snack
5/5.30 pm dinner
6 pm bottle
6.30 pm lights are out

I have tried wake to sleep at about 3 am and that sometimes works or pushes the wake up to a little later eg: 5 am, and then he just won't go back to sleep at all.
Daylight saving ended here on the weekend which he has adjusted to OK as we pushed bedtime back by 15 mins/day in the 3 days leading up to the clocks going back (it is Autumn here).  His nap earlier in the week was more like 11 am just due to the adjustment but have gotten it back to 12 pm, but still getting that wake up (and this wake up was happening before the clocks changed too).

Anyway would love your help and ideas please!  Used to a waking baby but only for 10-20 minutes, not 90!  ARGH! :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 19:43:44 pm by ladymugg »
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 19:04:06 pm »
Hi ladymugg, good to see you again. 
I hope we can help resolve this soon!

I'm moving your post to toddler sleep now that DS is 12 mo. =)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: HELP! 12 mo partying in the night
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 21:51:43 pm »
Thanks for moving for me ginger.

Does anyone have any ideas?  *sips coffee*

I think it may be teeth but giving pain relief doesn't end the issue.  He slept through a couple of nights ago when I elevated the head of his bed slightly with a pillow under the mattress, but the next night that made no difference :(

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 00:40:00 am »
Hi again,
Usually long NWs are a sign of undertiredness. So either he's getting too much day sleep, or not enough A time to bed. Could you try a 7pm BT and see what happens?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 01:33:51 am »
He is chatting and happy when we go in

If he's not upset I wouldn't visit him. I had a cousin who apparently used to have night parties, my Aunt eventually learnt to sleep through & only wake up when she was upset.

I agree with the PP there may not be long enough Awake times, if you want to keep the naps & night sleeps as they are, try being a lot more active with him... to this day there is a huge difference in sleep my 11yo gets based on his physical activity... 3 days without sport & he sleeps less than 8 hours (less than me) - he averages 15-20 hours of sport a week depending on the season & as a 1yo I was lucky to get 2 hours nap & 10 hours at night ( I preferred the longer nap) unless he'd been on the go ALL his awake time & then I might get 11 hours
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:40:58 am »
Thanks so much to you both.

I think you're probably right - its UT.  However I also think throw teething in there and it definitely isn't helping.

It is hard to explain... he is really active and happy when we go in, but when we leave the room he gets quite grizzly and upset.  I never let him CIO, and he doesn't really get to the scream/cry point but he definitely isn't happy and lets us know to an escalating volume.  So I get your point about not going in there but honestly we only go in when he starts sounding unhappy.  Which is every night. 

I am super reluctant to try a 7 pm BT tbh (mostly because my 3 year old goes to bed at 6.30 as well and it is just a lot easier to do them both at the same time.  May sound selfish but I'd rather tweak something else first if I can, maybe his nap?!! :) ).  The last few days he had quite short midday naps (1 hour and 1.5 hours from put down to go and get up) and it didn't make a difference - A time was 1.30 pm til 6.30 pm.  Today he slept nearly 3 hours (I kept that 12 pm nap time even though he woke at 4.30 am and never went back to sleep).

Would you look at capping that midday sleep or maybe changing the timing of it?  If he sleeps earlier eg: 11.30 am he tends to have a shorter nap (2 hours or less) and I guess that would increase the afternoon A time.

I appreciate your suggestions and ideas.  I definitely need to get him out to playgroup etc and stuff to tire him out in the afternoons as well.