Author Topic: Won't eat cereal  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: April 22, 2017, 21:01:58 pm »
My 9 mo lo will only feed himself finger foods he doesn't want me to feed him cereal or yogurt. He does eat cheese but I know the cereal is still important at this stage. Any suggestions ?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Won't eat cereal
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:51:34 am »
Have you tried giving him the spoon?

Why is the cereal important? Can you not meet those needs with finger foods?

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:40:38 am »
  I actually don't think cereal is that important.   :-\   If I had had a second child, I likley would have skipped cereal altogether and stuck with pureed veggies and finger foods.   Prior to 12 mo of age, baby gets most nutrition from breastmilk or formula. I think cereals are important in terms of texture, because exposure to different textures is important, but there is enough texture in veggies, mashed banana, sweet potato, fruits, etc.   I woudn't worry too much about it, other than maybe trying to add flavor with the cereals.  But if he still refuses, I wouldn't sweat it. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Won't eat cereal
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:33:08 am »
My DS had a baby muesli which I made into finger food by just adding a small amount of milk and letting it soak in for a few mins, it softened the grains and made it into a doughy kind of thickness which I rolled into balls for him to pick up and take bites out of.  He also used a fork to pick them up when he decided he didn't want dirty fingers.  it was a cereal aged 10 months but I didn't follow ages as he self fed finger foods from the start - he had that muesli for a couple of years, well beyond weaning stage.

Porridge oats can be made into a block/cake which you slice into fingers.  This is popular with a lot of BLW parents (I think there is a method of how to microwave this in the recipe section)

Other breakfast cereals I've never given as most cereals (in the UK anyway) have high levels of added sugar.  Mine still has muesli now, it's a no salt, no sugar one with little fruit added which I soak overnight in a small amount of milk so it is soft and kind of sticky rather than crunchy - he eats it with a spoon now.

You could also skip breakfast cereal totally and give home made sugar free pancakes or mini muffins or an omelette. I gave mine omelette every morning for ages too when he didn't take a lot of protein, I didn't worry about not getting cereal as he had other forms of carbs foods through the day.

You could just offer the spoon for him to self feed yoghurt?