Author Topic: Tips for encouraging veggies  (Read 55833 times)

Offline Nick's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:59 am »
Yes, that's exactly it. It's the size of a garlic and the color and taste of red onion but milder. btw, I saw in a cookbook a receipe for tofu with egg custard (savory) and the veggies are mixed in (so it becomes like some sort of tofu/veggie terrine) - double dose of protein! I'll try that soon and let you know.

Offline jessies mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2007, 14:18:20 pm »
Great idea with the sauce! Going to try this...my DD refuses any type of veggie...she used to love them! She is 13 months and has been eating solids sice abot 8 1/2 months. When the baby food started getting chunks she lost interest but would eat any finger foods... So we had to get creative and now we are stuck in a no veggie rut :( Thanks for the ideas!!

Offline nilly

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 19:05:19 pm »
our LO will also not eat ANY veggies. bit of a problem as we are vegetarians. we do a lot of shakes in the blender with leafy greans, like kale, swiss chared spinich... add 'greens plus', some goats milk, a spoon of almond/peanut butter (for fats) and some frozen or fresh fruit (bananas with berries). he never has not eaten a shake. at least he is getting his iron fill :)

nilly

Offline Charlene75

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 19:05:25 pm »
My son just loves Split Pea Soup. We can add whatever additional veggies and he practically begs for more!!!

Another good way to get veggies in the diet are Morning Star vegetarian foods, Sausages & veggie nuggets.

Offline nevviemama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Tips for encouraging veggies
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 17:16:01 pm »
Thought I'd chime in here as I had success with something recently. My mother makes (and used to make often when I was younger - maybe that was her secret to get us to eat our veggies!) a topping from butter and bread crumbs for veggies. Simply melt butter in a small sauce pan and when melted, add enough bread crumbs to make a loose paste. Cook for another min or so, then toss with veggies. A little goes a long way and it really tastes awesome and at least there are no additives. I did it today for peas and carrots and my lo just shoveled it all in - and she has staunchly refused peas and other greens lately.
Lucy
Neve's mum
Born: Oct 21, 2007

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • mischief makers........
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2008, 21:53:22 pm »
Marking my spot here  8) will be back  ;D
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2009, 00:34:48 am »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned anything like this, but I make pizza at home and put fresh spinach leaves under the cheese.  It's funny how spinach is one veggie ds will actually eat other then sweet potatoes.  He also loves spinach dip on bread.  I guess it's the cheese/spinach combination that he likes!  I can't get him to eat pasta at all or else I'd definitely be trying the veggies mixed in the sauce!  I think it's a texture thing- he's still pretty young.

Offline lilypotter2009

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2009, 08:44:58 am »
Ways to get children to eat more fruit and veggies

1. Keep a bowl of fresh fruits on the counter. Refrigerate cut up fruits and vegetables in small bags for easy snacks on the run.
2. Serve fruits and vegetables at every meal. Add grated or cut vegetables into entrees, side dishes, and soups. Top off cereal with fruits or add frozen fruits to smoothies.
3. Set a good example. Snack on fruit and order low-sodium, low-fat salads, soups, or vegetable sides when at restaurants.
4. Pack the refrigerator, freezer and cupboard with pre-cut, frozen and canned vegetables so that it is easier for you to prepare meals and snacks that include vegetables.
5. Let children choose which fruits and vegetables to serve and how to incorporate them into their favorite meals.
6. Make fruits and vegetables fun. Try dressing up sandwiches with faces and smiles made from fruits and vegetables.
7.  Keep trying. For some foods, it may take multiple times before a child acquires a taste for it.
8.  Encourage friends or relatives to offer vegetables and fruits to your children.

Offline harekrishnamama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 14:17:55 pm »
Presentation is sometimes very important.
This looks fun and appetising.

MummyToBen

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 14:31:32 pm »
ROFL!!!!   ;D ;D  DS would definately run a mile if he saw that for his dinner  :D :D...I think it's the teeth  ;)

xx

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 19:18:03 pm »
Yes - Jacob would be very amused by it all - but wouldn't eat it  ;D.

Offline harekrishnamama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 20:18:35 pm »
Ok, maybe for encouroging cooking with mother rather than eating!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2010, 18:28:23 pm »
Thought I'd chime in here as I had success with something recently. My mother makes (and used to make often when I was younger - maybe that was her secret to get us to eat our veggies!) a topping from butter and bread crumbs for veggies. Simply melt butter in a small sauce pan and when melted, add enough bread crumbs to make a loose paste. Cook for another min or so, then toss with veggies. A little goes a long way and it really tastes awesome and at least there are no additives. I did it today for peas and carrots and my lo just shoveled it all in - and she has staunchly refused peas and other greens lately.

OK I realize this is an old post but this sounds really good and I'm going to try it tonight I think - hopefully at least one of the two kiddos will eat it (if not DH and I will at least enjoy it!)
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline liamandfinnleymommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 02:51:04 am »
I've got a couple of soup recipes where most of the veggies are either mashed or blenderized, so the veggies are well hidden. They work pretty well with my DS.

1) Carrot and Dill Soup

Chop & Saute: 4 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 med. onions and 2 med potatoes.
Add: 2L chicken stock
Cook for about 20 mins. Puree in blender.
Add: 1/4C dry dill, 2 bay leaves, juice from one orange, salt and pepper to taste.
Cook for about 30mins longer and enjoy!

2) Veggie Soup

Chop and put in large pot: 1-3 potatoes, 1 head cauliflower/broccoli/any other veggies, 1 med onion
Cover with water and simmer til soft.
Mash thoroughly
Add 2 C peas

Blend 1/2 - 1 C cashews in water just to cover til fine.
Add parsley, garlic salt, chicken seasoning.
Mix into veggie mixture and heat.

Another trick that works well with Liam: mixing pureed or mashed veggies with brown beans. He LOVES brown beans, so he'll scarf down anything if it's mixed in!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/