Author Topic: BF'ing etiquette, or should I say lack of....  (Read 1983 times)

Offline opp2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
BF'ing etiquette, or should I say lack of....
« on: August 06, 2005, 15:50:39 pm »
Recently my ds 4.5 mos began arching his back yanking on my nipple, squirming like mad, and pretty much bobbing on and off the breast. Sometimes he gets a full feed, but I suspect rarely. He is gaining well,(15lb 14oz @ 19weeks) and has adequate bm & wet diapers. He is formula fed at night since 10 weeks due to inadequate nursing at night. He's on 3.5-4hr easy.

This recent behaviuor really has me seriously considering switching. He will bottle feed very well most times. Yes he is distractible right now however, this has been going on for two weeks. It is painful, and really quite irritating. It is a struggle every feed and I'm tired of it. My bback hurts from holding him up, he squirms off his pillow, and when I lay down to feed him hes off-on-off-on--off--on.......

I've tried the quiet room, stretching out the feeds but neither has helped. Any thoughts???
kaitlin 06/06/02
thomas 21/03/05

annamum

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 22:11:50 pm »
Could it be that your milk flow is slower than that of the bottle and he is impatient to get it fast thus bobbing on and off. If you put a smaller hole nipple on his bottle, would he also fuss?

Also, this is such age, they are so interested in surroundings, many babies do that but it should pass. You may offer hi a toy to get his attention while he nurses, maybe a toy that is new to him and offer it only while nursing.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 22:22:46 pm »
I start singing songs that he knows and likes and that usually keeps his attention for a little while longer. (though, sometimes, it makes him smile, which defeats the purpose)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 22:44:13 pm »
Same here :roll: ! I know how you feel, it's really frustrating, isn't it?

The worst problems we have are kicking, neck straining, pulling at my nipple  :shock: , and grabbing/pinching my breast (agony if his nails need trimming). He's also started 'talking' in between sucks (which is actually quite funny).

I've been reading around on these boards, and it seems like this happens at this age, and I'm consoling myself with the fact that it's probably just a phase. He's just starting to become really aware of his surroundings, and the fact that he can interact with them, and it's probably a bit boring to be on the breast when there's lots of exciting things to do (esp if he knows he can feed quicker with the bottle).

Hang in there!

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 02:13:05 am »
Quote from: Charlie's Mummy
Same here :roll: ! I know how you feel, it's really frustrating, isn't it?

The worst problems we have are kicking, neck straining, pulling at my nipple  :shock: , and grabbing/pinching my breast (agony if his nails need trimming). He's also started 'talking' in between sucks (which is actually quite funny).

Yes!!!  All of the above, except that he only 'talks' when he's complaining, so it sounds like he's grumbling under his breath.   :lol:  At least it's prompted me to trim his nails much more regularly.  :wink:
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna