Author Topic: wake to sleep strategy - How?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline julia cottam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 06, 2005, 15:24:41 pm »
I have read the posts below and my problem is similar, my son is 8 weeks tomorrow and he has recently started napping for 30 mins and as the second hand strikes he's wide awake, and he cant go back to sleep on own or with the shh/pat tech' he is grumpy when wakes so he does need more sleep and this is effecting how he feeds as he's started fussing and snacking, which means he now hungry at the wrong times and my milk supply is suffering. I am worried he is getting into bad habits and i dont know what to do. I have tried today the wake to sleep strategy from the BW book but i could not wake him with out picking him up and then i was worreid he would be too awake. so i waited for the sign of light sleep and by then it was too late with in secs he was wide awake and nothing worked in gettinghim back to sleep. Any advice would be great. JuliaX

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
wake to sleep strategy - How?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 22:29:08 pm »
This is very normal at this age.

Here are two other options on wake to sleep - so instead of waking them you just help them get into the next sleep cycle. 

Jane (one of the nap moderators) did this w/ success for her king of short naps.  I set my timer, in case I got busy. When it near the time, I oh-so quietly crept into his bedroom, once he stirred, I placed one hand on his back and one of his thigh. I didn't say anything, make any sound. Just as subtle as possible. I stayed like that until he returned to deep sleep, and slowly lightened the pressure of my hands.

Here is what i did: set my timer for 40min (for 30min if your LO wakes then) and crept into her room.  I had a drawer full of paci's so I didn't have to dig in the crib for it.  As soon as she stired, I lightly put the paci to her lips.  She took it, i would move out of sight and sometimes she would right back to sleep.  If she opened her eyes and saw me, forget it.  I would have to do shh/pat for 15-30mins to get her back to sleep.

This strategy is not a quick fix but take time to perfect so don't give up too soon. 

Also have a read at the sticky on top of this page: "teaching newborns to sleep".

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 22:33:37 pm »
I'm just going to add that overtiredness and overstimulation can make it difficult for a newborn/young infant to fall asleep/stay asleep. That's why an infant will sleep for only 10 min, 20 min, 30min at a time.  So ensure your A time isn't too long.

Offline julia cottam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 12:04:40 pm »
It worked!! Ben has been asleep for 2 hours, I have to keep popping up to nursery every 25 mins and gently stir him and pop the pacifier in like you suggested and he goes off into the next sleep cycle - thanks for tip. what i want to know now is do i have always do this or will he learn to slip into next cycle on his own? if so when? Will he not start to rely on me helping him back to sleep and i'll become a 'prop' for him. its quite tiring remembering to pop in every 25mins, not that i mind really as him sleeping is more important. thanks again Julia and Ben 8weektoday.

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 21:55:55 pm »
I am so glad to hear you are making progress!!  Yippie!!!!!

Don't worry about you becoming a prop, what you are doing just know is helping him/his body learn to transition from 1 sleep cycle to the next so that he can to do it on his own.  It is like the props of rocking or nursing to sleep.

I would keep this up for at least 1 week and then see if he can do it on his own.  If not, do it again for another week.

Let us know how it is going!

Excellent work mom  :wink: