Author Topic: 7 weeks and suddenly not napping?!?!  (Read 1434 times)

Offline bellerby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 weeks and suddenly not napping?!?!
« on: September 02, 2005, 06:39:32 am »
My girl has been an angel baby from day one, until yesterday! She has had no trouble with breastfeeding, or napping, and slept 6 hrs at night from 3 1/2 weeks. I've had trouble keeping her on a consistent routine b/c of a trip away and moving etc. but she generally feeds every 3 hrs in the day.

For the past two days however she has been miserable! She seems constantly hungry, and even if I feed her every 45 mins she still seems unhappy. She woke up at 3am last night for the first time in three weeks and then today she woke up at 7am and wouldn't fall asleep until 2pm. She slept for 2 hours (lying beside me) and then wouldn't go to sleep again until 10:30 tonight! I tried shh-pat but she just squirmed and cried until I fed her again. Feeding only seems to be a temporary fix as as soon as she drains me she starts to fuss again. Am i misreading her crying?? By this afternoon she was so overstimulated and exhausted that trying to figure out what was wrong was almost impossible!! I too am getting upset and tired which isn't helping the situation...

Does anyone have any insight?? HELP!

Thanks so much!

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 12:37:39 pm »
It could be the 6 week growth spurt just one week later...Don't know if that is right but I thought I'd throw it out there.  Sorry things are rough right now.  I know very well how hard it is to deal with an overtired baby.  :shock:

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 18:34:27 pm »
Could be an off day..  growth spurt..

Has it continued or has she gone back to her previous routine?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline bellerby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 17:30:44 pm »
Things have finally calmed down! After several days of uncharacteristic crankiness I think I've figured it out (fingers crossed!)...

Rather than waiting for her to get a bit crabby before I put her down, as soon as the first yawn happens I swaddle her as quick as I can and put her into her crib. If I get her down as soon as she shows signs of being tired, she goes right to sleep, or at least after 3-4 mins of fussing.

If I miss out on that window, she gets VERY overstimulated VERY fast and it is almost impossible to calm her down. She'll nurse and nurse b/c sucking makes her feel better, but as soon as she falls asleep and stops sucking she'll wake up again freaked out. Eventually, several hours later, she'll crash and sleep, but until bath and bedtime she won't sleep more than 30min and has an AWFUL day!

So - I can't really go out for longer than an hour with her, but for now that's a price I'm willing to pay for a happy baby and a quiet home!! Hopefully she'll be ready for longer awake times in the next month or so!

Hope this helps someone else!

2sonsofmine

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 09:25:19 am »
sounds just like my little boy.  He's 7 weeks and just went through a growth spurt a few days ago!  It baffled my mind why he could hardly go over an hour w/o eating!

we are still having nap issues, but I think, like your child, that mine gets overstimulated~~we're working on it.  I get him swaddled and to bed as soon as I see that little mouth yawn, but I think it still might be too late!!

good luck