Author Topic: Pregnant And Breastfeeding Support Thread  (Read 82092 times)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Pregnant And Breastfeeding Support Thread
« on: March 03, 2006, 16:27:02 pm »
I've noticed there are quite a few of us knocking about on the web site so I thought it would be a great idea if we had a place were we could come and support each other through the gripes and worries of pregnancy and breastfeeding.

First a little about myself, I'm nearly 6weeks pregnant with my second baby. My DS is 10months old and nurses around 3/4 times a day. I've noticed that my supply seems to be suffering due to my pregnancy and that I also feel a little nauseas and weak when I nurse.

Who's next?
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Pregnant And Breastfeeding Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 17:14:48 pm »
Guess I'm up next.
I'm a little over 5 weeks pregnant and nursing my daughter who is 9 1/2 months old. I too have noticed a decrease in my supply and am having a tough time dealing with that emotionally. My goal was always to nurse until my babies self-weaned, but I'm afraid this time it will be because I dry up. Our complication is that Maia has not taken a bottle since she was about 2 months old so we're really hoping that she becomes proficient with a cup or that she'll learn how to use the sippy (still trying to bite the spout instead of suck).

So...who's next?

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline charliegirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 20:31:12 pm »
Great idea to start a thread for us. I'm sure we will have no problem finding things to post here.

I have not noticed a reduction in milk supply yet but don't think there is that much anyway. My ds loves being on the boob but there is a let down on each side for way less than a minute. But he says there is still a little coming through after that (it's great when they start to be able to communicate :)). My main issue with feeding at the moment is that it is really painful when he goes on :o. I wouldn't mind at all if he weaned himself off, he's had a good innings, but I think he likes it too much. We'll see if that changes over time. ;)

Congrats on pregnancy to adkmaia but sorry you are finding the decrease in supply difficult. It does sound a fairly natural thing to occur though which would mean that your ds would in effect self-wean, albeit sooner than you imagined. With regards to the cup issue, my ds never had a bottle and we tried to introduce a sippy cup quite early on (to try to help with our sleep problems) we just put a cup on his high chair each day and eventually he worked it out - did take a few weeks though. Perhaps seeing other kids use cups would help, my ds has picked up several new tricks by watching others. Good luck with all.

Felt majorly tired today, and ds is still being very emotional and needy. Quite difficult to deal with when tired. Going to bed very soon now ;)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 10:10:56 am »
I thought there was more than three of us! Never mind, lol, I'll put a post in the pg forums and see if there is anyone else.

I feel pretty cruddy at the moment. I don't if because this pg Iam nursing but I feel so weak and watery all the time and each time DS nurses I feel even more washed out. Are any of you feeling like that? I have to eat so much food to keep myself going it is unbelievable and I'm only 6weeks pg! Will it get worse the bigger the baby gets?

I've started giving DS some cowmilk in a cup with his breakfast, that way I feel like he must be getting enough milk. That little cup full must be about the amount my supply had decreased by and I haven't the energy to fight to get it back up when he is happy with whats there, KWIM? I'm trying to make sure he has lots of yoghurt and cheese too.

Hope you both okay and persevering through being PG and BF. It is hard to keep going when you feel like rubbish but you have to for them don't you?

Speak to you soon!
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:08:27 am »
Nome has sent me over to be a cheerleader and offer any support I can. I'm not currently breastfeeding or pregnant, but I have been several times now.

My first nursling was 8 months old when I fell pregnant with #2. I remember those feelings, will I have enough, nipple soreness, being absolutely starving. I didn't have much m/s with #2 thankfully so I could eat a ton. My #1 was milk intolerant so I was very determined to nurse through 12 months. I drank a lot of water and rested as much as I could to help my supply. When she was 11 months old (I was 16 weeks pregnant) the doctor said to go ahead and start her on organic soy milk. She loved her straw cup and took to the soy well. We dropped a couple feeds and she self-weaned at 12 months and I was 20 weeks pregnant. My milk supply had lessened dramatically at that point (returns to colustrum) and she wasn't interested if there wasn't milk. I was happy for the break between nursings, I didn't want to tandem feed at that time. I did mourn the weaning of #1, it was very emotional, #2 was not planned and I felt like I cheated #1 out of nursings and mommy time. When #2 came around, I've realized how wonderful having him around has been for both of us. Grace loves her little brother and doesn't remember life without him.

My second nursling was also 8 months when I found I was pregnant with #3. I did the same as the first time, kept on nursing. I had much more m/s that time but #2 was milk/soy intolerant and I knew I had to keep going. I miscarried that pregnancy at 9 weeks, it turned out to be a molar pregnancy. I was so glad to have kept nursing. When I m/c, my milk came back in full and #2 rejoiced and nursed a ton.

He kept on nursing into my fourth pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant with twins. I was losing weight and made the decision to wean Max when I was 11 weeks pregnant. It was tough on both of us, he was 16 months at the time. It was a rough week and a lot of tears from both of us. I started gaining weight immediately and feeling better. At 14.5 weeks, I found the twins had died and I miscarried. I tried to restart my milk supply with pumping but Max wouldn't nurse. After a week, I gave up, and it's now been 2.5 months that I've not been nursing or pregnant for the first time in nearly 4 years. I have to say it's quite a change and I miss my nursing bras, these darn underwire prepregnancy bras are so uncomfortable!

So I guess I've been in a lot of different situations with pregnancy and nursing. I'll keep my eye on this thread if you all don't mind me around. Best of luck to all of you in your pregnancies and you're welcome to drop by the pregnancy forum or pm me if you'd like to be added to the due date list or have any questions.

:)
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 18:12:42 pm »
Okay I'm going to try to post again. I just wasn't successful yesterday. Here is yesterday's post that I saved:

Back online after a long weekend.
I'm actually feeling a little better emotionally. I think my supply has leveled off and Maia seems to be happy with it. Our pediatrician recommended that we keep an eye on her weight gain and diapers. Unfortunately since starting solids she has ALWAYS been constipated so it is hard to know if my milk supply is adding to that problem. We'll just keep checking daily and making changes as necessary.
Do either of you have a suggestion for introducing formula to an EBF baby? Maia has never tasted the stuff and I think my husband might be right...we should probably get her a little used to it before my milk completely dries up. Any thoughts?
I too feel completely exhausted...but I'm not sure if it is just pregnancy the two combined. The past 2 days I've actually taken a nap which I NEVER do. I don't like the way I feel when I wake up from naps. Ick.
Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope you guys are doing well.

Now for today...
I called Maia's GI doctor regarding the formula situation. I think that maybe we should try to get Maia used to the taste of a little formula since it is definitely possible that my supply will diminish before Maia is ready to go to cow's milk (especially since our scare of her having a cow's milk protein allergy). I called to find out if the GI has any recommendations of a formula that is both cow's milk protein and soy protein free, plus does not contain any of the other allergens we're trying to avoid because of family history of food allergies. All of it just makes me sad. I try to remind myself that I'm doing the best thing I can do for her...but still.

Our appointment with the OB is on the 20th of March. At that point we'll know the health status of the baby and hopefully get a confirmation of EDD. I'll let you know how it goes.

How is everyone else doing with nursing?

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 20:01:28 pm »
Alessia, Your milk shouldn't 'dry up' until about 20 weeks, you may be able to continue nursing fine until then. At around 11-12 mos, your ped will probably be supportive of adding in a little fortified rice milk - Rice Dream has some that has just the same amount of calcium and vit D as cows milk. You can buy it at Walmart for $1.88/box. I still use it on my cereal because I can't stomach cows milk. If you're concerned about weight gain for dd, you can add higher fat solid foods like avocado.

For constipation, a little sippy of half juice/half water can help. Also cutting back on the baby oatmeal and iron fortified baby cereals and just doing adult cereals like Cheerios may help. Real instant oatmeal sweetened with applesauce may add more fiber for softer bms.

At this point, if you do add anything like formula or the juice/water, or just water, try using different sippies until you find one she likes. My ds loves the Nuby soft spout sippy. DD didn't understand how to tip her cup so she likes straw cups. I also like the little take-n-toss sippies because of the hard spout (can't be chewed through by mr. toothy) and they don't spill as easy as valve cups.

Napping is great for your supply and your growing pregnancy. If you can limit it to 30-45 min and still get your 8 hrs at night, sometimes long naps make me feel worse than better.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 17:51:30 pm »
Yeah.....there are more of you out there...guess I'm number 4!

I am 3 months pregnant & still BF 7 month.....I haven't noticed my milk drying up yet, but I have made an effort to drink lots of fluids & have beed eating like a pig, I'm just soooooo hungry at the moment.

Something my HV mentioned to me & I wondered if anyone else has done this or is going to try it is Tandem breast feeding??? do you know if there are any pros or cons to doing this??

:D :D :D

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 18:53:04 pm »
Welcome! I am so excited to have so many of us!

I have heard of tandem breastfeeding and actually just bought a book that is published by La Leche League called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing". Apparently the book is about breastfeeding through pregnancy and then nursing both babies after the newborn has arrived. I bought it specifically to learn about their suggestions regarding breastfeeding during pregnancy and for some support when doctors, family or friends question my decision. It should arrive in the next few days and I'm very excited. I will try to post a link to the website where I purchased it. Hopefully it will come up.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0912500972/sr=8-1/qid=1142102990/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6725453-5835259?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I've also read quite a bit of information about tandem nursing on Kellymom.com. She has lots of great info on her site. Here is a link to tandem nursing.
http://nursingtwo.kellymom.com/resources/tandem-faq.pdf

There are quite a few resources on the kellymom site. It may be worth a read if you're having questions about anything with breastfeeding & pregnancy.

Anyway, I'm off to pack. We're in the process of moving and still have LOTS to do. I hope you're all doing well.
-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 18:57:54 pm »
Hey,
I was just surfing the kellymom site and found this too...
It is from the author of the book that I just ordered.

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/articles/bfpregnancy_safety.html

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 11:27:46 am »
Great I will check out tohse links.

Euuughhhh moving too??.....nothing like doing all the most stressful things in life at once!!

Hope it all goes smoothly  :)

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 11:35:34 am »
Wow those links have answered a lot of my questions already....the part about the 2 babies staring at each other while they feed at the same time.....ahhhh how sweet, it made me get all emotional just thinking about it. :)

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 15:21:25 pm »
Thanks! Thankfully we've had a bit of time to pack things up--of course, me being a procrastinator...well, I haven't done much yet. Anyway, we should be all squared away to move this weekend. Woo hoo!

I'm glad the links helped you out. I too, was emotional when I read that about the babies staring into eachother's eyes. Ahh, don't you LOVE pregnancy hormones :)
I hope that they help you to figure out what you think is best for you and your babies. I think for me it will depend on my milk supply throughout the pregnancy. If Maia doesn't self-wean then I'd love to tandem until she is at least 2 years old for all of the amazing health benefits that breastmilk supplies. If she does self-wean midpregnancy then I think I'll just nurse the newborn--unless she shows an interest again when the newborn comes along. We'll see how it all plays out.

Well, I should get back to stuff around here. I'm HUNGRY :) Going to make myself some oatmeal (I heard it does wonders for milk supply).

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline JacobMarksMummy

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 16:14:07 pm »
Hi feadle, nice to have some more company!

I thought you girls might find a glance at the la leche league boards usefull. Theres a pg and bf page adn one for tandem nusring too!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/

HTH  :)
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 17:45:15 pm »
Thanks Nome!
I have actually spent WAY TOO MUCH time on their website. It has lots of great info. I also contacted a local LLL leader to find out about meetings. I'm hopeful there will be more moms there in my situation!

How are you feeling? Still really drained?

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...