Author Topic: napping nightmare...refuses pacifier...HELP!!  (Read 919 times)

Offline merh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
napping nightmare...refuses pacifier...HELP!!
« on: June 18, 2006, 22:58:04 pm »
My 7 week old "spirited" daughter fights naps like a seasoned pro. My husband and I watch her for signs of geting tired, get her into the nursery and have a quiet calm period and follow all the suggestions in Tracy's book and the minute she starts to fall asleep she cries and screams and works herself into a real state. It can take 15-30 min just to stop the histrionics and calm her down and which point we are lucky to get even a 40 min nap (we go through this 3-4x a day). She will often wake herself up trying to suck on something so we tried a pacifier and she absolutely refuses the pacifier (she is breastfed) and once she is fully awake she starts to scream all over again. At this point it is impossible to get her back down again before it is time for her next feed. She will simply cry the remainder of the time. As the progresses she becomes more and more tired even though we try to keep her stimulation to a minimum she still becomes a crying tyrant from exhaustion by each evening. At nigth she will finally sleep around 5hrs, wake for a feed around 3-4am, and then sleep for another 90min-2hrs. She very rarely gets more than 10hrs a sleep on any given day. I have no idea how to improve her nap times? We are feeling a bit desperate for our poor exhausted girl. Sssh-pat definitely does not work with her. It seems to irritate her even more.