Author Topic: Does over-hungry result in fussy feeds? 3-4hr transition or GS maybe?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
DS2 will be 4 months on the 16th, so perhaps this is a growth spurt? Every feed today, he was very fussy at the breast, grabbing, gulping, pulling on and off. It seemed to me like he was frustrated that he wasn't getting lots of milk. So now I'm wondering if my supply is suddenly dipping (I got AF back at 4mo with DS1), he is too hungry (I've been putting him on 3.5 hour easy or sometimes 4 strictly by the clock - I don't know his cues as his hands are always in his mouth!!), or if he just wants more food. Tonight before I bed, for the first time ever I think, I offered the first side a second time (after the other side). I am eating very few foods due to his sensitivities so my weight is falling, however he did have his longest night ever last night so I am baffled!

It is no fun to BF a bub who is so fussy and wriggling, kicking, etc at the breast. I would think if he was over-hungry he would just attack the breast, but ?? He also had some particularly curdy and large spit ups today so maybe I did have enough but he fed too fast?

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
Re: Does over-hungry result in fussy feeds? 3-4hr transition or GS maybe?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 19:49:40 pm »
Hey Shannon,
Thought I'd tag along as I'm having fussy issues too! I've been having them a while though.
 DS wakes once or twice a night and usually feeds perfectly without any fussing. During the day is another story. His first feed (sometimes 5 hours since he last fed) he just doesn't seem bothered with, he has a few minutes then seems quite content to just stare and smile at me. Cute though it is it's rather annoying if time is limited or DD is being a pain!
 The rest of the day I just keep offering here and there, he tends to feed really well right before a nap as he's a little sleepy! As I'm on holiday this week I have fed him to sleep for naps in emergency situations but mostly he won't fall asleep feeding.

Generally feeds are a fussy nightmare, he seems starving and attacks the nipple, but wriggles and fusses, cries, pulls away and arches his back. But seems happy as soon as I plonk him flat on his back!

He's just had a gs which was fab because for two days he was actually doing EASY with no fussing. The trouble is now, my milk supply has increased and he's back to fussy, which means he bobs on and off while I squirt and leak everywhere like a cow! It makes feeding in public a challenge!

We have reflux too but relatively mild. I'm attempting a dairy/ soy free diet (still on a trial basis) although it's difficult to monitor eating out all the time! He has a really bad cough which I believe is from his reflux so that's waking him up at night.
 He's a habitual 40-50 minute napper so I'm on a 2.5hr (ish) EASY, although I feel he needs longer between feeds. I'll tackle that at home though.

As for cues, at night he seems starved when I pick him up. I have this little drooling face trying to latch on to my face! So I know he needs feeding, during the day it's difficult. Sometimes he'll only feed if I practically ram his face on my nipple!

Maybe your problem is too long between feeds, maybe he just needs it a little sooner. Bringing it forward may make him less fussy?
 Maybe it's developmental? I remember DD being distracted by the tiniest noise, in the end I had to feed her in a quiet room with the tv off!!!

Sorry if I'm no help! If anything I've bumped you for someone else to read. x

Oh and I forgot how close we were. DS arrived on the 19th, seems a life time ago from the due date thread!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Does over-hungry result in fussy feeds? 3-4hr transition or GS maybe?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 20:07:02 pm »
Thought I'd tag along as I'm having fussy issues too! I've been having them a while though.
 DS wakes once or twice a night and usually feeds perfectly without any fussing. During the day is another story. His first feed (sometimes 5 hours since he last fed) he just doesn't seem bothered with, he has a few minutes then seems quite content to just stare and smile at me. Cute though it is it's rather annoying if time is limited or DD is being a pain!
 The rest of the day I just keep offering here and there, he tends to feed really well right before a nap as he's a little sleepy! As I'm on holiday this week I have fed him to sleep for naps in emergency situations but mostly he won't fall asleep feeding.
Exactly DS2...what I have found is being less or more hungry is a PITA and also if I am too full and squirty he hates it...understandably so!
9 and 6, oh boy!