Author Topic: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance - MSPI - READ HERE!!!  (Read 181121 times)

Offline lindabrad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #420 on: September 10, 2007, 09:23:03 am »
Sorry to jump in. I just recently started to mix breastfeeding & bottle feeding to Oliver and suddenly his rash has become soo bad and spreading all over his body, it made me wonder if it has been because of the bottles all along - also because since he's regularly on formula he's been spitting up alot. (Oliver is 6 months old, occasionally bottlefed before this transition, always has slightly ezcema but only on cheeks and behind knees,  but I thought it was because he just takes after my bad skin). The doctor suggested to try on soy milk, and I have only started today. My concern is if he IS allergic to the soy milk as well. How long do you know whether or not the soy based formula works or it actually does the same? How long should I expect the changes? Thanks.

Offline donna_issabella

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
Re: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI)
« Reply #421 on: September 10, 2007, 09:47:43 am »
Hi Linda,

This happened to my sister's DS too. Each time they went to church he would develop a rash :)  She was at that time breastfeeding him, but at church he would have a bottle of formula. Thought it was a heat rash. Actually MPI rash.

THe rash settled down quickly on the soya milk. He is 14 months now and still gets a rash with milk products.

The general rule or recommendation is 2 weeks, although  manytimes you can see an improvement much sooner. I would say that if there is NO improvement within the two weeks or if your DS gets worse on the soya milk, that would be a definite tell.

HUGS and good luck!
DI

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #422 on: September 10, 2007, 10:20:38 am »
I agre with the previous post.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline lindabrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #423 on: September 10, 2007, 10:55:08 am »
Thanks! two weeks sound like a looong time though :( but I'll give it a go. Hopefully we can see improvement sooner.

Offline lindabrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2007, 23:08:02 pm »
Just a quick update on Oliver - he didn't have any spit up after the soy milk yesterday (he normally would after his normal formula) but this morning I was almost convinced that his rash was slightly worse. His sleep was also a bit interrupted last night but it might just be coincidence - he woke up half hour before his DF (although he does this sometimes, not sure if the patterns coincide with drinking formula during the day), he woke up crying sometimes in the morning (didn't see the time) but I resettled him very quickly and he was okay until this morning. I know it's less likely that we're able to tell in just one day, but these whole things are making me stressed out!!

Offline donna_issabella

« Reply #425 on: September 11, 2007, 04:32:33 am »
I know where y ou are coming from and that stress is plain awful, as you just want to make your LO better!

Hang in there! You have come so far! Things will get better. Really. Even if there needs to be a few more changes along the way.

xx
DI

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #426 on: September 11, 2007, 06:26:51 am »
Hang in there. It is possible that it is still from the cows milk formula depending how lon ago that was stopped. If you are unsure about the symptoms is it possible to go back to breast feeding exclusively as this would get your lo back to baseline and it would probably be more obvious if there was a reaction this way. I know this may not be possible. Good luck you are doing a great job.

Offline lindabrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #427 on: October 14, 2007, 10:32:51 am »
Hi It's me again. We've gone back from soy formula to milk based formula since I last post (a month ago). His skin was better on soy but not exceptionally good - i was convinced it did something but DH thinks we should try to go back to cows milk formula. We've changed the brand from Nestle Nan Gold to S26 lactose free (I know it probably wouldn't make any difference for his skin but we thought the lactose free might be milder than normal formula) , since then his skin flares up on and off but not as bad as when he was on Nan Gold (would it be possible different formula make difference like that, if he's milk intolerance?). I've noticed that his cheeks are slightly red when he had his milk (They were burning red when he was on Nan), doesn't it mean he's reacting on it?

I've been giving him pumpkins for his meals, but only the past 2 days I realised his face turned red within half hour and he started scratching his legs. I jusy don't know what to do now  :(. he's off pumpkins off course but I am worried that he might react to similar yellow veggies and because there's a tiny doubt at the back of my mind that he might be allergic to cows milk i just am not sure what diet I should give him. We probably went off soy formula too soon (he was on it for 2 weeks) - shoud we have another trial maybe?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #428 on: October 15, 2007, 05:48:10 am »
To be honest it does sound like he is reacting to the new formula just not as much as he was to the old cows milk formula. It also sounds like your ds was still reacting to the soy formula to be honest. You could try a hypoallergenic formula like alimentum or you may need an elemental formula like neocate. My son is allergic to dairy and soy and can't tolerate the hypoallergenic formulas but some children do ok on them. The only problem is they are expensive and they taste pretty awful. We had to wean James onto it by mixing it with regular formula.

Offline lindabrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #429 on: October 15, 2007, 06:36:38 am »
Hmm.. that Nestle Nan is actually an HA formula, but obviously it didn't agree with my son. Wonder if it is worth it trying other hypoallergenic brand.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #430 on: October 15, 2007, 06:49:37 am »
Did not realise as we don't get that here in the UK. It might be worth switching to neocate or elecare if possible then.

Offline lindabrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #431 on: October 15, 2007, 12:12:33 pm »
Sorry - just had another thought. It's a bit funny how he reacted worse to an HA formula than lactose free and soy base formulas, when the HA formula is aimed to lessen the risk of milk allergy. H Any explanation you can think of? And thanks so much for replying.

Offline vickymeek

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #432 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:19 am »
Just want to say how useful this thread has been for us - thank you so much.

My son has been uncomfortable for the whole of his six-month life and we've never got to the bottom of it. I've dragged him to the GP on so many occasions and spoken to health visitors desperate for help because he was screaming in pain, wouldn't sleep, had constant diarrhoea, green stools, mucus in his stools or frothy stools. He'd vomit up to an hour after his feeds and had the most terrible wind and griping pains. He was also very aggressive and breastfeeding was often like having a wrestling match. The constant screaming and generally difficult behaviour took a pretty bad toll on the family - my husband and I were arguing the whole time and I was not spending enough time with my two-year-old daughter. I was told by my GP and the health visitors that I simply had a "difficult" baby and had to put up with it.

Anyway, suspecting it might be something in my diet that was upsetting him, I put him on one formula feed a day when he was five months. Disaster. He got so much worse. I tried a couple of normal formulas (SMA and Hipp Organic) and it was terrible. Eventually, a health visitor suggested Cow & Gate Comfort, which helped a little, but he was still very uncomfortable. Anyway, last Saturday, I cut dairy and soya from my diet. By yesterday evening (Monday), he was a different baby. He was giggling and smiling (things I didn't even know he could do!) and he had a proper poo for the first time - and no screaming to accompany it! It's amazing.

We may not be out of the woods yet, but I think we may finally have found the culprit for my poor son's pain and discomfort - no thanks to the medical profession.

Given that this is relatively common in babies, surely someone I spoke to should have picked this up. One of the many reasons why this site is so invaluable. Thank you again!

Offline donna_issabella

« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2008, 18:34:42 pm »
Sorry - just had another thought. It's a bit funny how he reacted worse to an HA formula than lactose free and soy base formulas, when the HA formula is aimed to lessen the risk of milk allergy. H Any explanation you can think of? And thanks so much for replying.
Hi there,

I think it depends on what else is in the HA formula. I thought my son was MSPI only, but giving him solids I realised that he reacted badly to corn as well. I know that nutramigen has corn syrup in it, but my son is OK on that, surprisingly (although he still has about 2-3 nappies a day but SO MUCH happier!). But some moms have found that their LO's do better on one HA formula than another.

In the UK you get Pregestimil and Nutramigen, then you get Neocate which is an amino acid based formula. I am not sure whether we get Elecare in the UK - Kelly might be better knowing this. In the US and Canada you get Alimentum which is another HA formula.

OOps I just saw the post was in October 2007.

I will leave the info in any case. :)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #434 on: February 28, 2008, 06:07:10 am »
I am pretty sure we don't get Elecare. Everything I have read about elecare has always been in the US or Canada. I will have a check though.

Kelly