Author Topic: Won't sleep away from home!  (Read 5674 times)

Offline sweetemma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Won't sleep away from home!
« on: November 28, 2006, 00:32:55 am »
Hi, my almost 7 month old daughter sleeps wonderfully at home.  I did the pu/pd with her at about 5 months and she goes to sleep well everytime.  That is until we go away!  The only way she will sleep is on my chest, and it is only for about 3 hours a night!  Do I have to do pu/pd in the new place we are at?  Let her cry it out?  I just don't know what to do!  I bring familiar things from home, but it won't work.
Thanks for any help!
Amber

Offline murkywaters

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Won't sleep away from home!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 00:36:53 am »
I did PU PD when we got to a new place.  First I had a nice rock with him though to get him Ok with the room (it's pretty scary after all)  I remember what I used to feel when we went on vacation to my aunts when I was young so I make sure I gave him that cuddle time.  Then Pu Pd usualy only needed to do it for one night.  He went down fine for me the rest of the time we were there.  When we went my DS was 7, 9 and 10 months.  Oh ya I made sure  I brought the covers he usualy sleeps with and he had a light show (plays music has lights and bears going in a circle) he loved that so I made sure i had that and the bedding that smelled like home.
Mommy to Kyle July 2005
Mommy to Keira Aug 2006

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:12:38 am »
amber - i know what you're saying.  i waited until LO was almost 9 months before i ventured out for an overnight trip.  it was rough.  we did it again over the holidays and sleep was pretty rough. 

i bring stuff from home also.  where does LO sleep when you guys go away?
melissa

Offline sweetemma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:27:51 am »
We have a playpen for her in her own room.  I dread doing pu/pd again!  I guess I better though, we are moving soon, and it will have to be done in the new house I'm sure.  We get in really late when we go, so do you suggest doing pu/pd the next day when our routine is more normal?
Thanks!

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:30:30 am »
i'm confused - are you visiting people or moving?  sorry too little sleep and too much wine hehehee ;D

Offline sweetemma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 04:34:52 am »
Hi, sorry!  We are visiting someone in a few days and moving in 2 months.  Sorry to be unclear!

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 20:46:38 pm »
i'm sure you were clear.  i'm a little ditzy.

so she sleeps in her play pen at home?

we moved about 2 months ago.  my LO was 7 months at the time and i painted her new room the same color and put in a similar ceiling fan and tried to arrange the furniture the same so that she didn't see something new from her crib that she didn't see in the old room.

when we go away at night (not often at all), i use the same play pen that she sleeps in at MIL's during the day sometimes while i'm at work.  it works ok.  she wakes more often than at home but i assume the play pen isn't as comfortable as her crib.

does the place you're going to visit have a crib? 
melissa

Offline sweetemma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 23:05:43 pm »
Hi agian.  She sleeps in her crib at home, but playpen at my parents.  I can see she is terrified when I put her in it.  We will always have to spend nights either at my parents, husbands parents,and hotel rooms.  Thas is just a part of life, so I need her to be able to sleep in different places.  I thought babies adjusted easily, I guess I was wrong!  Yeah, when we move I will do her room the same as now, she hates change!  Maybe I will have to put up with no sleep when we visit family.  Yikes!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 00:02:47 am »
is she a Touchy baby?  that sounds very much like a touchy personality trait.  it might help if you do some practice runs with the playpen at home, so she can get used to the new bed in a familiar area.  loveys & blankets that smell like home are wonderful, but it takes those touchy babes a little longer to get used to new things. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Tuty

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:45:48 am »
My heart is with you. We always have a rough time when we sleep outside. We try to avoid it as much as we can. Our Thanksgiving night was far from a fest.. For us it started when DD was about 6 months old (she's not touchy, but a little spirited).

In two weeks we're going for a month abroad with a 10 hours time differnece. I'm really worried about this trip, but since we booked it several months ago and a lot of family is expecting us, I guess we'll have to settle with a lot of pat-shush..

Good luck with your move, please keep us posted,
Tuty

Offline Lockie & Sam's Mummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 05:58:05 am »
hi amber,

i don't have any advice for you, unfortunately, but wanted to let you know you're not alone! we have the same problem with our lo :( he's great going down for naps & sleep at home, but can't seem to settle when we're out & about (except in the pram when it's moving or in the car seat or the baby carrier).

i never know what to do with him when we're at friends' houses & he needs to go down for his nap. he won't sleep in his pram unless it's moving & he's not one of those babies who can just drop off to sleep while lying on the floor. i managed once to put him down in my friends' daughter's cot using the routine we have at home, but of course a cot isn't always available!

in the end, i usually have to hold him until he drops off to sleep which i'm not really used to as i never have to do it at home & he's quite a heavy little guy! anyhow, let me know if you ever solve your problem. until then, hang in there ;)
Livvy
Lucky mum to Lockie & Sam

Offline murkywaters

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 02:08:24 am »
Mine hates change too.  When I put the sheet over his window (sun was comming in and waking him WAY too early) it took him a week to get used to that!  I did the same thing when we moved (when he was 10 months) painted the room the same colour and made sure the furniture was in the same set up as the old room too.  He was actually really good with the whole thing.  I was suprised at how well he took the move! You may be pleasently suprised.
Mommy to Kyle July 2005
Mommy to Keira Aug 2006