Author Topic: Support and Chat thread for moms doing GW & PD  (Read 40869 times)

Offline meltown

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
Re: Support and Chat thread for moms doing GW & PD
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2011, 16:54:07 pm »
Wi/Wo is walk in walk out.  here is a link explaining what it is.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline Logansmommy2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Sweet Spirited Logan
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2011, 18:41:47 pm »
Hi Ladies, I am currently dealing with a very spirited almost 11 month old who is having SA issues big time. I spend about 2 hours a night doing PD and GW at bed time and usually at least one NW.
Should I be putting her down and walking out or should I PD and sit down till she gets back up again? She almost always does.
Also, should I let her walk around and settle herself if I sit on the floor or just do constant PD?
I usually do constant PD till she lays where I can rub her back and then I sit beside her crib and GW over 30ish mins. This usually takes about 2 hourss at least

Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 19:11:33 pm by Logansmommy2 »

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 23:36:45 pm »
We were doing this for the last couple of months up until a week ago when ds got sick, major SA and I have gone back to APing to sleep  :P. But, I found that PD was just back breaking for me and frustrating sometimes for him. He would just get right back up every time I put him down. So I started would just sitting by the crib and telling him to lie down, maybe patting the mattress. DH, on the other hand usually goes for the early NWs and he will pd and pat his bum with good success.

I wonder if your resistance at Bt could be due to UT. Have you started the 2-1 yet? I did find that ds would only do well at this when very tired and he stopped taking 2 naps when I did it that way (will sometimes take 2 if I AP).

Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline Logansmommy2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Sweet Spirited Logan
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2011, 23:42:25 pm »
no unfortunately her a times are too short due to the NW. We are working on her day sleep but right now she isn't able to stay awake long enough to do the 2-1. sometimes I am even having to give her a cat nap!

has anyone used PD to wean the paci? I think it's time because she has no self soothing skills and I am tired of APOP which is just becoming AP now. She needs me to rub her back ect to sleep now. Pre SA she slept with a wind down/snuggle and paci...not anymore!

Also if she is mantra crying when I am doing PD should I just leave her even if she is standing?
TIA
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 15:56:10 pm by Logansmommy2 »

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2011, 20:46:18 pm »
Logansmommy how old is Logan? Has she just turned one? I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that at this age you try not to PD at all because, as Becky rightly said, it is back breaking but also LO often thinks it is a game and gets straight back up. Have you tried keeping a firm hand on her back or leg to try to stop her from getting up?

As for weaning the paci, again I don't think it is advised at this age. There is such a lot going on developmentally now and by this age LOs have usually become quite attached if they have always had a paci. I think you would be better waiting now until she is about 2 when you can explain more about the paci going and your DD can understand. Can she replug it herself at night or not?

Offline Logansmommy2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Sweet Spirited Logan
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2011, 03:27:59 am »
at what point does GW become a prop? I have been doing GW with my daughter for 2.5 months at night an I can't leave the room while she is "awake"
she has 3-4 NW a night plus BT and I'm so tired of doing GW with her. She's usually fine with naps but it seems to be getting worse.

she doesn't self soothe at all, I have to always go back in and put her down.

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2011, 19:10:31 pm »
ok we have been doing GW since july when we used rock A to sleep. Now we have got to standing next to the door (closed) but last night and tonight he wants to hold my hand, can someone tell me have i left it too long to move to the next step? i also tried just PD but of course he kept getting back up.

any advice?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2012, 19:42:59 pm »
My DS just turned 14 months and I need to start the GW or WI/WO with him.....here's our story....
His crib is in my room b/c I was a single mom and wanted him to be close to me....He starts out in his crib every night and puts himself to sleep with no problems...but after about 3-4 hours, he wakes up and cries....I try to put him back down but he just screams bloody murder until I pick him up and put him in bed with me.....

Is it ok to try and get him to sleep in his own crib in my room or do I need to move him into his own room?? Isnt that quite a bit of transition all at once? To get him in his room and crib all night?

I know he can stay in his crib all night b/c he did it 2 weeks ago, one time!!!! :(  I am so tired and cant figure out why he is waking???  And how to get him not to protest when I dont bring him in my bed. 

Offline amandamae

• Pro homebirth and bf-ing!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 05:20:18 am »
It sounds like you have a good start if he's falling asleep on his own at bedtime- good job!

I think that right now the best thing you can do is to become consistent. Either decide you're not ready and let him come to bed with you right away when he wakes, or really stick to your guns and only comfort him in his own crib without bringing him out- just as long as you're consistent! By giving in sometimes I think you make it harder for yourself the following nights. When I was GW and I would want to give in, I would just tell myself that if I did I'd have an even worse night the next night. It helped me stick to it!

Remember though, you don't have to move very fast. You can absolutely go over and comfort him at his crib (or do PD- or both- whatever you decide) until he falls asleep. Just remember to move to the next step of GW when you're ready so you don't get stuck comforting at his crib for the next year or so. ;) Something I did that helped was to try to think out little scenarios and what I would do if they became reality. Like: what if he stands, but doesn't cry? What if he bonks his head on the side of the crib? (it happened) Will I talk? What would I say? If he's laying down and crying do I stay in bed or go comfort? I'm sure you get the picture. Anyway, having a plan really helped.

If you're hoping to keep him in your room that's great! Who says he has to sleep in a different room? I really love BW, and think Tracy's ideas are great, but I use them more as a guide, not a rule book. For instance, I really love co-sleeping at first and have noticed it really helps my breastfeeding relationship. When that reaches a point where it's more hindrance than help we move to the next step. I have a couple good sleepers, so hopefully my advice is sound. :) I hope that helps- sorry I took so long to respond!
Amanda Mae
     Christopher (5)
     Olivia (3)
     Mikayla (1)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 21:40:55 pm »
Thanks amandamae! Actually through nothing other than a miracle he has started STTN in his crib! I don't know what happenied but I am so happy!! Only once in the last 7 days have I had to bring him in my bed. He settles on his own everytome he wakes. Its crazy. I donvt jump whenever he wakes and I think maybe I will have to get up but he goes back to sleep!  Yay! Only took 14 months! I am keeping his crib in my room for a few weeksso its not to much of a shock to him.  ;-) any thoughts on this?

Offline amandamae

• Pro homebirth and bf-ing!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2012, 03:27:51 am »
Yay! I'm so glad he's STTN! I don't think I have anything to add for switching rooms though. Happy babywhispering; let me know how it goes!
Amanda Mae
     Christopher (5)
     Olivia (3)
     Mikayla (1)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:26 pm »
Hi ladies,

My LO (18 mos) has just had a couple of months of 'wonky' sleep (WW, SA, teething, 18 mo regression...) but is starting to get back on track now, although I think we still have some teething bother going on.  However, in the course of the 'wonkiness', she has become used to me staying in her room until she falls asleep (standing next to her cot with occasional hand on her when she gets worked up).  I want to use GW to get past this.  However, she does fall asleep independently for DH (BT and naps) and her carer (at nap times) so I wonder if you think I am being 'chicken' and should just go for WIWO? 

She used to usually fall asleep independently for me (before start of Feb) or I'd just have to WIWO a few times.  She also used to STTN or resettle herself if she woke (eg due to teething) but now more often than not she doesn't re-settle herself any more.

The reason I'm tending towards sticking with GW, not WIWO, is that she is v spirited, esp when it comes to sleep, and just gets more and more worked up and hysterical and then cannot calm herself down (this happened when I GW'd too quickly a couple of times - but I was still in the room with her the whole time).  She always gets upset when I finish her BT story atm cos she knows I'm about to PD.  This doesn't happen when DH does BT now.

Any thoughts on sticking with GW or giving WIWO another try?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old