Author Topic: Can the transition from formula to cows milk cause constipation?  (Read 133107 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Can the transition from formula to cows milk cause constipation?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 17:07:43 pm »
Zach is actually not allergic to milk, according to the allergy test, but is DEFT. intolerant to it. 

We were always told to stay away from banana's when he was so constipated, but now he eats them no problem.

You aksed why do I think he was on both sides of the coin?  Constipated, then diaherra?

Gosh, I have no clue at all.  Lets see as a baby he was on a hypo-allergenic formula.  Everytime we tried baby foods with milk in them, he would stay up all night screaming in pain. 
We tried Lactose-Free Formula at different times and he got so constipated from it.  Then at about 9 mos. we tried it again and he seemed to handle it okay, but looking back now he was super constipated from it.  That is when we had to do the milk of megnesia everyday and juice. 

At 12 mos. we tried whole milk and that was a nightmare, then went to Lactose Free Whole milk.  He did not cry out with gas (like with whole milk), but was still constipated.

Then we started giving him that Plum Juice everyday.  He actually got to the point that is all he was drinking almost.  (He hated milk).  I would not of course recommend that (All Juice).  Anyhow then things just got looser and looser and looser and then it was all diaherra.

We switched to Pediasure for the extra calories and that was a huge nightmare.  He had major blowouts with all his food in it (sorry).... 

Anyhow I think since he deft. has an intolerance to it, at first it just made him constipated and then as he drank milk more and more it turned into diaherra.

Since stopping ALL milk products, he finally has normal poop.  He also does not get much juice at all.  Maybe 2 oz. a day.

Just keep an eye on his constipation.  I really hope it is just the transition. 

Does he scream out in pain, like it hurts?  Zach would scream and scream and cry and still not be able to go. 

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!