Author Topic: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!  (Read 106481 times)

Offline Lippy Chick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
Re: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2007, 17:05:49 pm »
Just to encourage you, hopefully.  Alice never seemed hungry and always took forever to feed and get anything into her.  Now she is nearly 8 months, just in the last two weeks she is finally downing 8oz bottles within about 15 mins.  It has really taken that long for her to be hungry enough to drink that amount.  Stick with it, it will get easier.  Really glad the drop-ins are helping.  I think they're great.

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll not want.

[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1097063.png[/img]

Offline ~*Sugar*~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2007, 17:31:50 pm »
Well its been a week or so since i posted here and i have to say....Lucas is still wiggly and squirmy when he feeds but not as bad and he has graduated from 6oz to 7oz each feed now and hes still doing good with the dropins bottles.I am sooooo glad i switched!
He also had his 4 month shots and check up and he has gained 2.5lbs and grown 3cm since his 2 month check.Doc says hes doing fine so i guess hes eating what he needs.But its good to hear it from the doc too.

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2007, 19:55:03 pm »
Sounds like he's gaining well.  You're right, it is definitely helpful to hear it from the doctor!

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2007, 22:14:28 pm »
Christina, that does indeed sound encouraging and positive.  Don't be too quick to wean onto solids, wait until you think he's ready, that way he will actually do it rather than not really wanting to.  I started too early with Alice and she wasn't ready.  She's really only been ready in the past couple of weeks.  We're doing Baby-led weaning.  Have a look at it on the solid feeding thread.  I think it's fantastic and so does everyone doing it.  It may be that this form of weaning will be good for Lucas, then he's in control of what he eats (well amounts anyway).  It does take patience though, but they do get the hang of it eventually.

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline ~*Sugar*~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2007, 02:13:21 am »
Well its funny you mention solids because his doc asked if i had started cereal yet and i said no.He said i could start anytime now...that he felt Lucas was ready with the good weight gain and all.I just nodded and let him continue onto another topic because Lucas still seems content with his milk so i see no need to start solids before he needs them.
For the last 4 nights Lucas hasnt woken to have a bottle through the night either and he has been drinking 8 oz a feed the last couple days as well.He jumped from 6oz to 7oz and now to 8oz in like 2 weeks.I figure hes having a growth spurt...extra formula and extra sleep just seems to good to be true lol.
I have been reading about the baby led weaning....Once i have read all i can i will discuss with hubby before we make that decision but it is worth considering.

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2007, 22:11:17 pm »
Wow, could be a growth spurt or getting into that routine.  Here's hoping for the latter.  Growth spurts only last a few days though, so not sure whether it is or not, but then time will tell. 

The BLW is definitely worth considering, I think it so much more natural than feeding a baby a pile of purees that I've had to make (or get from a jar).  I basically cut up some fruit (or whatever I'm giving her) and she bungs it in her mouth.  I love eating with her, it is so much fun and she seems to enjoy the whole experience too.  We have all our meals together and she feeds herself, which is just great.  It does take a bit of courage (people worry about the whole choking thing) and a lot of patience, because it doesn't happen over night.  It is radical, but you can do a mixture of purees and BLW if you want, it is totally up to you.  People will think you're mad for doing it, but I can't encourage you enough to go for it.  If you look on the solids board, loads of people are having issues trying to get their children to move from purees to solids, this cuts all that out.

Anyway, glad things seem like they're settling down for you.

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline ~*Sugar*~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2007, 22:01:57 pm »
Ok i am back again...lol.Had a great 2 weeks of Lucas drinking 8-8.5 oz without a fuss and sleping without his usual night feed between 3-5am.But it wasnt to last.He has gone back to squirming and wiggling when he drinks and now hes only drinking 6-7 oz max and hes waking at night again for that feed only now hes only drinnking 3-4oz instead of the 5-6 he was drinking before.I figured he was having a growth spurt but when it lasted more then a couple of days i got my hopes up...lol. Guess its going to be a while before we sleep all night again but the not drinking drives me crazy.I am just concerned that he isnt getting enough formula...i mean he went from 8-8.5 oz back to 6 or 7oz.He is happy and growing so i guess hes ok...just hard not to get frustrated and worried.

just had to vent that out
Thanks
Christina

Offline orbmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2007, 22:08:58 pm »
Mine is the same way.  It has gone back and forth enough that I am actually starting to roll with it a little.  I feel the same way about the sleeping through thing though.  I feel like he'll never get enough during the day to get us there.  I am hoping that 6 mos and some solids will do the trick.

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2007, 19:24:17 pm »
Christina, I am sorry to hear that you feel very frustrated about the feeding.  It does go up and down, but will get better, he obviously is just not a big eater, like Alice.  Is he gaining weight at the same rate?  Alice gained at the same rate, so I decided to roll with it a bit.  It is upsetting though. 

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2007, 17:07:52 pm »
Meghan is the same way too.  Just not a big eater.  She's a big baby, though, so I know she's getting what she needs.  And if her metabolism is naturally slow I definitely want her to be able to know how to stop eating when she's full!

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2007, 20:21:27 pm »
Lyn, that is a good point actually.  Certainly the Baby-led weaning helps in them knowing when they've had enough, rather than eating non-stop for 10 mins and then they're full.  Alice eats and stops and eats and stops etc and I think she probably eats less than someone who is spoon-fed, but she is still gaining at the same rate.

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline Lady Di

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2008, 22:32:10 pm »
Soooo glad I've found this post, am new to the forum but have just bought the baby whisperer book so am starting to read it tonight.  I have just flicked through the post as I don't have time to read all ten pages but delighted to see I'm not alone with this problem.  I went to the doctor today it has got so bad but my usual doc was away and locome standing in didn't have a clue  >:(   Anyway my little one Sophia is 12 weeks on Friday and feeding has become a nightmare the last two weeks.  She just squirms around and flings her head from side to side and I'm lucky to get 3 ozs into her.  As a result she's slight underweight, doc weighed her today and she's 12lb 7oz when she should apparently be well over 13lbs.  I went to the chemest and got colief drops which I tried the last feed and again now for the last feed of the day.  Squirming was slightly better but still only managed to get 3.5 ozs into her.  Shes a really good baby otherwise and spends her whole time smiling up at me, its just so hard not to worry about them not eating properly.....

Offline orbmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2008, 23:18:37 pm »
My guy totally grew out of this.  I was in tears at one point & so worried that he wouldn't get enough.  Now he is distracted, but manages 6 oz most feedings and 8 oz before bed.  I think this is a developmental thing and not one to worry too much about.  Just keep an eye on it.

Offline debalynn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2008, 22:04:25 pm »
I've read through these, and my dd seems to be the worst!  She's 21 weeks, and she weighs only 10 lbs 14 oz (was 6 lb 12 oz at birth).  I am so stressed out!  I started out bf for about 3 months, but she wasn't gaining like she should.  The health visitors and doctor wanted me to try supplementing, and gradually I was forced to stop nursing (which has been very depressing).  They've put her on a high-calorie formula (Infantrini) and also Gaviscon because she was getting sick after every feed.  She's had eating problems since she was born--sleeping long periods, nursing short periods, refusing to bf or take bottle.  As of last week she was taking about 6 bottles a day--about 4 oz each time, maybe 5 or 6 oz one of those times.  She also started on solids--rice cereal and carrots so far.  I mix them with the Infantrini.  All of these things were at the recommendation of pediatricians, dieticians, and health visitors (she's seen so many people, it makes my head spin).  Last Friday, she had gained 6 1/2 oz, which was good for her.  But it wasn't good enough for the health visitors who seem to expect her to leap onto the charts in one week.  I get so depressed going to get her weighed, because they're so negative and give the impression that I'm not doing enough to make her eat more.  I've tried everything they've suggested.  Part of me is very worried, and part of me wonders if they can't accept the fact that some babies are small.  She is healthy, alert and happy.  She does everything a 5-month old should do.  One pediatrician she saw said she was okay and would always gain weight slowly.  She had blood tests, and they all checked out okay.  But I know her eating habits aren't normal.  I nursed my older 2 children until they were a year old, and they ate all the time and gained well.  The health visitors told me she needs to be eating 36 oz a day--but she's barely eating 24 oz.  The past 3 days she's had a cold, and it's been a struggle to get her to eat.  She's had 2-3 oz each feeding and fusses the whole time.  We've tried different bottles and nipples, a sippy cup and the bottle lid.  So, I guess I have 2 questions really.  First, is it possible that the higher-calories formula is satisfying her more quickly so that she doesn't want as much?  Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat more?  She has also been teething, and I've tried different ways to sooth her.  I, too, feel like I'm about to go insane.  I'm tired of going in for weekly weigh-in's, but I'm worried enough to keep doing it.  I'd just like some answers about why she won't eat and what else I can try.  Please help!!!

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2008, 15:58:33 pm »
I'm sorry you've had such a tough time.  Especially the cold now, that is so frustrating when you're already worried about her eating.  At 21 weeks, my dd was only eating about 25 ounces max too.  She has never taken 36 oz in a day, ever.  We switched to the Playtex drop in system and the fast flow nipples.  I started putting oragel on her gums before she ate. 
You say she's healthy, happy and alert.  Is she well hydrated, enough wet diapers?  How is her sleeping? She started out small, maybe she's just small.  My sister's first baby was like that.  She started out at 6lb 4oz, such a little peanut, was barely 18 pounds at a year.  Her 4th is similar, he's nearly 10 months old and is under 16 pounds.  Has she fallen off her growth curve or just never made it on the chart?