Author Topic: Worried about my supply...  (Read 1292 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Worried about my supply...
« on: February 18, 2014, 20:10:38 pm »
Ugh so have never had any issues at all with this nor with C.

So I've been back at work 2 weeks and G has been having formula in the daytime when I'm at work and boobs when I'm home so on the weekends etc and evenings . I haven't got time to express at work (seriously I don't have time to eat so although I know I have the right to ask for the time it would just be too stressful). I didn't express with C and never seemed to have any issues at all so was hoping the same would be true with G but today I feel like she is getting nothing from me- that she's suckling but not swallowing really. She's been v tired and has had a cold for over a week (we're also in a WW leap right now) but today I honestly feel like she's barely had any milk. She's wanted to feed more but then just been suckling and falling asleep. I'm really not sure what it is.

Any advice ladies? Thanks xxx

*Nicola*

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Re: Worried about my supply...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 20:14:31 pm »
Ah I had the same problem :( I took fenugreek and had to make time to express at work but it was a complete PITA so I know what you mean!

I ended up nursing loads more when I was home too trying to increase supply. (((Hugs))) it's hard work!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:26:23 am »
Thanks Kelly :-*, I am trying to offer a bit more than I usually would. It was all do easy with Charlotte, formula when I was at work and boob the rest of the time without any issues. I'm away from G for longer periods than I was with C as I have a longer commute, ugh!

Would fenugreek help much if my breasts aren't being stimulated? Happy to take it as did for a while in my early paranoid days with C.

*Nicola*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:40 am »
It is worth a try Nic, I used it when I was just doing wake up and bedtime feeds, and it helped.

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:19 am »
Thanks Anna. Will text DH to see if he can pick some up...here's to smelly armpits!

The BT feed was the most worrying yesterday because even when I've been out all day she's still fed well at BT and there's been plenty of milk. Here's hoping some fenugreek will help and I best stock up on hobnobs too! ;) x

*Nicola*

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:00 pm »
Yup :) hobnobs should do the trick :) lol!

I think the fenugreek helped a little for me, it wasn't a huge difference but worth it IMO x

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 17:13:35 pm »
I've ended up giving her a bottle this afternoon. She just doesn't seem to be feeding from me. :'(
I don't think it's a bottle preference because she loves her boobs and won't usually accept them over me and won't really take them at BT etc. I know giving her a bottle was not the best thing to do really but she was obviously hungry as she was really fussy and then drained 7 out of the 8oz I gave her.

Am I better off trying to give her a bit of consistency and will my supply regulate rather than it all being a bit erratic? So say BT and NFs only and then the rest formula? I'm not ready to give up (apart from anything it's still the best AP!) but don't want my supply to go completely. Ugh! I thought we'd be fine after I was with C. :'(

*Nicola*

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 19:25:47 pm »
Could it be a growth spurt do you think?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 19:43:01 pm »
Is you just stick to certain feeds (morning, bt etc) then I think your supply will regulate but that was the point where my supply gradually decreased and decreased - C was older though so maybe that had something to do with it?

It's hard isn't it, if I were you I think I would just feed, feed, feed as much as possible whenever you can to try and get your supply back up. I know it's awkward at work but is there any chance you could express just for a week or so until you can get supply back? It may decrease when you stop though? Sorry not much advice, just thinking out loud!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 20:31:20 pm »
There is no way that feeding at the extra times at the weekend is causing a supply issue so stopping those won't help that. It might help your frustrations over he being unsettled if there isn't the milk she wants there.

I don't know what pump you have but is there any way you could pump on the drive there/home?

Hugs. It must be hard.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011