Author Topic: Can I do this? Do I want to? Total overhaul of sleep routine.  (Read 947 times)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
Okay, so it's becoming increasingly apparent that DD1 needs to start preschool.  She is bored out of her mind staying at home with me and her baby sister all day, so she's being as difficult as she can be just to make it interesting.  The preschool I really want to get her into has no openings for the two-year-old class, but may for the 3-year-old morning class starting in September (she must be three for that one) or the 3-4 year old afternoon class starting in June (she only has to be 2 years, 9 months and potty-trained, and she will be both).  The afternoon class runs from 1:30-5:30, and that having that time would really help me out.  I'd also love to get her in sooner rather than later.  The trouble is, this would mean she'd have to forgo her nap if we kept the same routine.  Hers currently looks like this:

8:00 am wake up
12:30-2:30 nap
8:30 lights out, and if I'm lucky she's asleep by 9

I've been doing lots of reading on baby and toddler sleep, and I'm convinced that she needs that nap as long as she will take it, as everything I've read has said that children who still nap have longer attention spans, better learning, and better behavior than those who don't.  I'm wondering if I could shift her schedule to something like this:

6:30 wake up
11:00-12:30 nap
7:00-7:30 bedtime

I'm willing to bet she'd go down to sleep much easier after an afternoon at preschool than she is now.  This would also give evenings back to DH and me.

BUT, I realize this will mean I'm getting up at 6:30 every single day, even the weekends.  DD2 usually doesn't wake that early, so it would definitely be an adjustment for me.  I'd love to have my evenings again, though, so it might be worth it to give up sleeping in occasionally for a nice evening with DH every night.

And if I decide to do this, will it even work?  Will Lilah even go with it?  Also, how should I go about it?

TIA!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Can I do this? Do I want to? Total overhaul of sleep routine.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 22:08:29 pm »
What about starting to cut the nap and having an earlier bedtime, bet she'd go for you around 6.30-7pm?

I wouldn't say to cut the nap dead, but try to work on keeping the same amount of sleep but through the night rather than with the nap.

Whatever you decide, do it gradually.

lilmonkey

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:37:06 am »
Lurking for some advice as I will be going through this in Sept. with dd's pm clases

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:43:35 am »
Mari, we have on occasion let her forego her nap, but it doesn't usually result in a significantly earlier down-to-sleep time.  She still end up missing out on a bit of total sleep whenever we do this.  Now, it's possible she may drop her nap by June and we won't have to worry about this at all, but in case we do, I wanted to get some advice.

If we do end up shifting her sleep pattern, I'm thinking to shift everything back about 15 minutes every 3-4 days or so.  Does that sound reasonable?
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:07:45 am »
I think that 15 minutes is a reasonable time, you are giving yourself and Lilah time to adjust I think.  Good luck