Author Topic: Introducing formula / retaining two BF feeds a day - realistic?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Mo-Jo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Introducing formula / retaining two BF feeds a day - realistic?
« on: February 13, 2006, 17:23:33 pm »
After BFing for 3 months I am looking ahead to starting back at work in a couple of months time. Once back at work, ideally I want to continue BFing the first feed of the day and the one before he goes to bed - 7am and 7pm at night - with formula covering all other feeds (I don't feel I have a good enough milk supply to pump and store enough).
My plan between now and starting back at work is to take it step by step a week at a time, replacing just one of the usual day's feed with formula in the first week, then the next week replacing two feeds per day etc etc, to get the breasts used to this change gradually.
I was just wondering if anyone who has already done this had any advice and also if it is realistic to be able to retain both the morning and evening feeds? All suggestions gratefully received!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Introducing formula / retaining two BF feeds a day - realistic?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 17:26:57 pm »
I did this, but not until DD was 8.5 months old.  It did work for us at that stage.  I think that many people who have tried it at your LO's age find their supply dwindles if they don't nurse for all feeds.  You could still pump and use formula to make up the difference - that way you would keep your supply up and you LO would still get more BM. 

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 18:58:56 pm »
I haven't done that but it completely realistic regarding supply, make sure you drink plenty and eat well. If you do struggle then you could always try giving her these two feed off just one boob which is what I have had to do with my DS as my milk supply had never been overly abundant and if I was faced with your situation I would feel the same as you.

I say hooray for you for wanting to keep it up, it will be lovely for you to still have that spacial time with her. I hope everything goes according to plan  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Hypnorm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • my baby boy!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 21:42:55 pm »
Hi, i am also thinking of doing this - just breast feeding am and pm and during the night. and giving him the bottle during the day, he is 6 months old and on solids.
We are thinking of trying for another baby in the next few months, as as my monthly cycle has not yet returned, i thought reducing the BF would help but i don't want to stop just yet. Bf'ing is so convieient!
Distributor for Forever Living Products - Aloe Vera (email me for more info)