Author Topic: 2 year old still night waking  (Read 977 times)

fifibobandmore

2 year old still night waking
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:59:49 am »
Please could any one help me ?I? am exhausted as I have only had about 3 months worth of nights in 2 years where my daughter has slept through the night and I am now expecting baby number 3 which is due in July.

When is was 2 months she was sleeping through the night but then she started waking again at 3 1/2 months and since then I have a very rare full nights sleep. As I have said above I am now expecting baby number 3 so ideally I would my daughter sleeping through the night.

At 19 months she started trying to climb out of her cot so to prevent their being any bad accidents I converted her cot into a low bed for her and she loved going to bed but at 20 months she stopped taking her 11am-1pm nap as no matter what the time was when she went to sleep I woke her at 1pm as if she slept after then she would not go to sleep at night until between 9 and 11 which got in the way with my special time with my son who is 5 in February.

Well last night she was a sleep at 5.30 and woke at 9, 11, 3, 5,6 and then 8 for the rest of the day. So last night she stay up time she woke 5 times. When she wakes up she tries to climb in bed with me and her father but I always do a rapid return with 30 minutes controlled crying before she finally goes back to sleep.

Another thing I took away her only breast-feed she had a day which was at bedtime away when she was 17 months and the night waking has got a little bit worse since then.

Any help will be very much appreciated from the bottom of my heart and soul.

Alison Reed
mother of 2
Ryan - Asthmatic but very active (15.02.2002)
Loren - Cerebellar tonsils, night waker but also very active
Baby no 3 due 19.07.2007 (Fingers crossed)

Offline Wife and Mummy.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Re: 2 year old still night waking
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:03:47 am »
Cant help all that much as my 3 year old still wakes all through the night. and demands a bottle.I am also very tired.Good luck with getting some help ok.And good luck with baby no 3.
samantha,mum to all.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 05:20:43 am »
Firstly I know how hard it is when they wake lots... I'm not a fan of controlled crying & I feel in a toddler it causes more problems than it solves as I presonally think (from reading & my own children) they have reasons they wake up & so you need to deal with the reason not the result ie what is causing the wake up rather than getting them back to sleep.
given this sounds like it has been on going, have you ruled out teething, illness etc as they do tend to cause waking in some toddlers, especially the spirited ones which I'm guessing your dd may be.  how long have you been doign CC, as I know (from the limited experience I had & friend who swears by it... but has had to repeat every 3-4 months)  if it isn't working in 3 days then you have another issue.
Reading into your post (could be wrong) it sounds like your dd is challenging for you & that your ds has been a lot more easygoing... If it is like my ds#1 who is my challenging one he is a barometer to my emotions & I certainly find the more frustrated I feel with him the harder work he is (our ds#2 is the more easy going one). From my experience & I think him being the older I have learnt that if I try to fight his intensity & needs then I am the looser, if I work with him & work out why he wants/needs something, even if I can't give it, we all end up happier.
What I have to wonder is if the wakings aren't out of her need for you... you mention "your special time with your ds" does she have special time? or have her night wakings become her special time? I ask that because you say her wakings have got worse since the bf stop & that may have been a security for her & the fact 8 months later it is something you remember says that it was probably something you choose to stop & not her & you regret/blame in some small way??? 
Even with the wakings 5.30pm-8am seems a long time to have her in bed & she is probably not needing that amount of sleep if she got it in a better quality.
Personally I think if the CC hasn't solved the wakings STOP all you are doing is breaking her trust in you. I'd take her back to her bed & if she is calm leave her & keep taking her back... if she is upset, sit with her (no interaction) until she is calm or asleep... Personally I think (because of CC) you'd be better staying until she falls asleep (even on a mattress on the floor) & then after a few days doing the gradual withdrawral method (see FAQ board above)
I'm all over the shop here, but in a bit of a hurry & trying to get my ideas out.
I can understand about the lack of a nap, but I do have to wonder if her bad sleep is in part overtiredness & if she is spirited as she sounds, she may have gone to bed more easily with a longer wind-down routine... my 3yo very spirited has always needed about an hour of quiet (one on one - not easy with a 2nd child) activity including 15-20mins of stories to go to sleep other wise he is up & down... so wondering what your wind-down for her has been
Must go 3yo needs help

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

fifibobandmore

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:53:58 am »
Thank you Kate for your reply

She cut her last and finally tooth when she was 18 months so she has no more teeth to cut.
She has had a head cold recently but that was gone about 10 days ago.
She has her special time all day while her brother is at school and I take her to 3 different playgroups for her to socialize with other children as she gets bored very easily.
Believe it or not yesterday she had a 1 1/2 hour nap after dinner and told me that she wanted to go home to bed as we were at her grandparents house and she has never not even as a baby managed to nap at their house as it is very noise so I took her home and she did after having a cup of juice and a big cuddle go to sleep.

She is now asking to go wee wee when she wakes in the night so recently the night waking could be down to her feeling her nappy wet so last night her dad put her on the toilet every time she woke and with out crying she took herself back to bed and immediately went back to sleep. He took over last night as I was beginning to get a migraine because of the lack of sleep and because this pregnancy has caused me to have a lot of dizzy spells so I am see my doctor today about this is get his advice on what could be causing them.

Will see how tonight goes and possibly she has told use herself what is wrong in the night but before when we checked her nappy which was always her dad's first check when she was back in bed it felt dry.
Will let you know in a few days if this is the problem and if the sleep is much better as she did not go to bed last night until 8 so he brother did not get his special time as he took hisself to bed at 6 because of the busy, noise day he had had at his grandparents. I hate sundays with the in-laws it is to noise but it is the only day in the week the kids see there grandparents so I live with the noise just for that 1 day.