Author Topic: Night Terrors  (Read 830 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: December 04, 2006, 00:18:44 am »
Does anyone know anything about night terrors?  Dd has been waking up screaming and inconsolable these last few nights, usually right around when dh and I are going to bed.  She crys incoherently for mommy, without realizing or understanding that I am holding her.  She has definitely been stressed and overtired due to being sick; she has had a cold for the last ten days, and it definitely has affected her sleep.  I checked a few of our parenting books and searched online, and the description of night terrors fits her behavior to a T, but she seems a bit young (23mos).  But I really don't know what I can do for her.  Last night it lasted about 1/2 hour, but when she snapped out of it she was fine.  She asked for milk, then went back to bed without a fuss.

Any ideas/input?
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Night Terrors
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:24:19 am »
hi Deborah,

i only know a little bit about them, but from what i recall, i think you've been doing the right thing by just going in & holding her or otherwise soothing her when she yells out.  you're not supposed to wake them (if you can help it; sometimes i think it just happens), but other than that i don't think there's much you can do....  :-\

hopefully she will work through her stress soon and they will phase out.  in the meantime, (((HUGS))) for her & you. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 01:43:50 am »
Yeah, we have been waking her up, but only because night terrors did not occur to me until last night.  We've been sitting with her trying to figure out what's wrong.  We've had periodic night wakings the last two weeks due to travel / illness, but until the last few nights, there's always been something actually wrong.

If it happens again tonight, I think we will try to be less interactive.  I don't want to leave her in the crib, as I don't want her to hurt herself.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Night Terrors
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:16:26 am »
Quote (selected)
I don't want to leave her in the crib, as I don't want her to hurt herself.

that makes a lot of sense.  i think plenty of cuddles are in order.  the avoiding waking her up stems from the idea that you don't want to wake them up & have them freak out cause they're not sure where they are or why you suddenly appeared (as if maybe in another freaky dream).
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 19:31:20 pm »
Hi just read a great new sleep book called Better Sleep for your Baby and Toddler by Dr. Sheila (?) Weiss who is a neurologist at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children.  There is a section on sleep terrors which indicates that they diminish considerably if the child gets more sleep/goes to bed 30 minutes earlier. Coincidentally I also came across similar information on Dr. Greene's website. HTH

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 19:40:26 pm »
imsmum - Thanks.  I had come across some info indicating that overtiredness can be a trigger.  We know she's been overtired, but only because she hasn't been napping/sleeping well due to illness.  I've actually been putting her to bed an hour early to try and make up the difference.  We had a quiet night last night, though, so I am hopeful.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)