Author Topic: wanting to hold off solids... need help!  (Read 1091 times)

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
wanting to hold off solids... need help!
« on: May 11, 2006, 16:32:23 pm »
Hi I have some questions related to BF and starting solids and I have started posting in the solids forum for some questions but I think I also need some help and input from some of you here...

would you mind checking this out?

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=60406.new#new

thanks!
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: wanting to hold off solids... need help!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 16:42:26 pm »
AAP and AAFP medical organizations recommend waiting until 6 months for introducing solids. So do most "breastfeeding organizations". WHy? All the nutrition they need come from us! (the moms) There is no health reason to supplement early for most babies. I waited until 6 months on both of my kids. And they were already sleeping through the night (so that's not a reason to start them earlier). There's also hte native gut theory--- the earlier you introduce solids, the greater the risk of allergic reaction b/c an immature gut can't handle the proteins. At 6 months, the gut has matured. Sure feeding the babies is fun and they enjoy the making the mess...but if they don;t need it...just wait.
Jeni

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 16:44:28 pm »
Also...why does DH want to start? If he is wanting to participate in feeding process..there are other ways. Maybe he wants extra baby time?
Jeni

Offline rosie and joe's mummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • baby joe
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 18:20:46 pm »
i totally agree with the allergy theories.  100%

in the UK there is much discussion about the increase in allergic diseases in children, asthma, excema etc and adult onset allergic diseases such as hayfever and coeliac disease.  I don't know if anyone has done any real research into this, but i wonder if the increase over the last 20 or so years has a lot to do with the fact that 20-30 years ago it was recommended to wean babies at 4 months or even earlier. maybe this increase in allergic diseases is all to do with early weaning?  i don't know but it would make sense to me!

besides if you wait until 6 months, you can try a more varied diet more quickly, AND babies can get involved and participate more themselves, which has to be good!

maybe you should suggest to DH that one of the biggest indicators of a baby being ready to wean is the loss of the tongue thrusting reflex. so try putting a plastic spoon in his mouth and if he pushes it out again, he's not ready. job done, DH will have to wait
rosie - 12/12/05
Joe 17/03/08

breastfed angel babies!

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:26:59 am »
thanks for the replies and opinions!  :D
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008