Author Topic: When can I leave the room before she has fallen asleep?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline DDpickle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When can I leave the room before she has fallen asleep?
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:21 pm »
Hi all

I started PU/PD with my 14 month old daughter 11 days ago and it has been going great.  She has hardly cried, she just constantly rolls over, kicks her legs, giggles and moves about her cot so much!  She is managing to fall asleep on her own now within about 20 mins (was 1 hour 15 mins when I first started!) with me just keeping my had on her back or tummy.  I think she is just trying to self soothe and get herself off to sleep on her own.

I am now wondering when I can leave her in the cot to go to sleep by herself, and how I go about this?  She often cries if I go to leave the room during the day normally, so worried that if I leave her in the cot she will start crying and I will be back to the start with PU/PD.

Thanks very much.

(Just a bit of history- I adopted my daughter 2 months ago and its going great.  She has formed a good attachment to me!  She was used to the foster carer rocking her to sleep and had never fallen asleep in the cot before! hence me doing PU/PD even though she is a bit older)

Thanks

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: When can I leave the room before she has fallen asleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 18:53:06 pm »
Hi Congrats on your DD!  Sounds like you two are doing great!  Have you been able to take your hand off her back and her go to sleep or do you have to keep it there til she's asleep?  If you are able to already take your hand off I'd start working your way towards the door a little at a time...eventually outside the door with it open if necessary.  If you still have to keep your hand on her back I'd work on cutting down on the amount of time you keep it there then moving closer to the door.

HTH

Offline DDpickle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 20:16:43 pm »
Hi
Thank you for your reply. She is doing great. I have not taken my hand off her yet, so I guess that is the first step! It is going so well. I am scared to change it, but my back is killing me, constantly leaning over the cot to keep my hand on her! It only took her 13 mins to fall asleep tonight!

Thanks

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 21:48:20 pm »
How about a chair to sit on?  Could you reach her then?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:09:44 pm »
I'd work towards having your hands off her once she is calm, then take a step away from the side of the crib. If she gets upset, try soothing her just with your voice, and only step back to the crib if she is getting more and more upset. Once she gets calm again, take another step away from the crib. It is great that she is settling quickly but I'm concerned that you are setting yourself up as an alternate prop if you are staying with her all the way until she is asleep.

Also, I'm going to move you over to the Toddler Sleep board since she's over a year old :-*

Offline DDpickle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 19:26:16 pm »
I agree, I am also worried I am now an alternative prop. I tried sitting in the chair beside cot this eve and she just kept standing up giggling at me. I also tried taking my hand off her when she was calm and she kept trying to reach out for my hand, or kept rolling over and sitting up. I will def try the hand off and step back when calm for a few more nights. I do not want to sort one problem out and create another!!

Thanks