Author Topic: Started solids.. then stopped due to consitpation.. now what?  (Read 790 times)

Offline littlegrasshopper

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So cameron is almost 5months. He seemed like he wanted more to eat so I started to give him rice cereal. He had constipation issues. I decided to stop and go back to just breastfeeding. But now at the dinnertable he opens his mouth.. I think he still wants it... what do I do????

Offline MC2Be

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Started solids.. then stopped due to consitpation.. now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 00:50:20 am »
I had the same problem.  I first switched to barley cereal and then to oat which is less constipating then rice.  I dropped cereal altogether for awhile offering non constipataing foods like prunes, pears and peas.  It did the trick.  I now offer oat cereal in the morning mixed with fruit and he hasn't had a problem again. 

Offline themarlatts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Started solids.. then stopped due to consitpation.. now what?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:46:57 am »
Mine had the same problem - we immediately switched to oatmeal and barley cereals, but it didn't fix it.  A full jar of prunes always gets him better, but instead of that we started giving him juice every day.  As long as he gets a cup of it he's fine - the days when we forget/or are busy he gets constipated.  When he was younger our doc told us to try it diluted, but that didn't work so she told us to give it full strength and it worked like magic.  Now we are able to dilute it and he's still doing OK now that he's older.

We also stopped giving him plain cereal - instead we mixed a little bit into fruits and veggies to thicken them up, and he still gets the cereal.

It will get better!!