Author Topic: Refuses to sleep in crib after NW  (Read 760 times)

Offline lize566

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
My ds is 10 wks old bf with reflux (on Prilosec). He starts out sleeping in his crib, even falls asleep in it, sometimes with very little if any soothing. But as soon as he wakes for the dirt time, usually 5 hrs, he is up every 1-1.5 hrs until I put him in his swing. His mattress is raised, he is swaddled using the Aussie method, it is dark, and last night he had music (wasn't white noise bc it's just a radio in there so I played soft classical music like I did with ds1). Any theories on what is going on? We've had 3 nights in a row like this, but 2 pretty good nights before that. I recently upped his dose to keep up with his weight. He doesn't get fed when he wakes unless it's been 4ish hrs. He usually goes back to sleep pretty quickly when I put his paci back in and fix his swaddle if his arms come out (I can't seem to keep both arms securely in the swaddle for some reason). Any thoughts?? I'm exhausted and I go back to work next week...I'm not I can function like this! Help pls!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Refuses to sleep in crib after NW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 14:27:14 pm »
I'm guessing you feed him at that first waking, 5 or so hours after BT.  Is is possible that he needs to be held upright more afterwards or perhaps burped a bit more?  Because of the reflux I wonder if there's some sort of discomfort going on there related to that feed.  If he's falling asleep ok in his crib and doing a good 5ish hour stretch until his first waking, that's a really good start at 10 weeks.  If he will sleep ok in his swing, I'd be tempted to just let him (and you) get some sleep with him in there after that first waking and hope that as he stretches the time until his first waking, the time in his crib increases as well. 

Offline lize566

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 17:25:38 pm »
I hold him upright 20-30 mins (usually struggling to keep my eyes open) before I lay him down. He is sometimes really wiggly come to think of it. I can rarely get him to burp after the night feedings, so perhaps that is the problem. Thank you...sometime a fresh set of eyes makes things make sense! And I think I will just try to lay him in his swing after the first feeding and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 22:36:40 pm »
Good luck!  I hope it helps!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
Since you're BFing, are you engorged at all for that feed? Just wondering if lying back a bit to give him that feed may help him cope with any additional flow of milk that he's not so used to...

Offline lize566

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:18:44 pm »
I normally feed lying back a little anyway. But I've decided to just go with the swing for another month or so after getting 6 hrs 2 nights ago then almost 9 hrs last night! Woohoo!!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:39:38 am »
Yay for the good sleep in the swing :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator