Author Topic: 3.5 month old waking once to eat every night  (Read 1432 times)

Offline JulieHuf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3.5 month old waking once to eat every night
« on: August 11, 2012, 13:01:22 pm »
My lo is 3.5 months and we are on the 4 hour EASY (doc suggested going to a 4 hour routine bc lo didn't seen hungry at 3 hours and was just snacking). For the past 3 weeks or so, he has been waking up at night very erratically. I posted something here and someone suggested feeding him because he was probably going through a growth spurt. So, for the past 5 days or so I've been feeding him and he will go back to sleep (after he takes a full feeding). How long are GS supposed to last? I really am scared that he will get dependent on the feed to go back to sleep. Any suggestions? Last night I tried not feeding him when he first woke up, around 245, but then he woke up every hour until I did feed him. Help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3.5 month old waking once to eat every night
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 13:05:54 pm »
Are you bottle feeding or breast feeding? Either way, if he is waking at odd times then he is genuinely hungry and you need to feed. One night feed then straight back to sleep is completely normal for this age and it's actually really good! Most babies will continue needing a night feed for quite a while yet, often until solids are well established at 6 months+.

Are you doing a dreamfeed? If not that may be worth a try. If you are bottle feeding, how much is he taking at a feed during the day?

Laura

Offline michelle33

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 15:21:26 pm »
I know it may not seem it to you but once a night at that age is really quite good. My little man is the same age and generally wakes twice, sometimes3 times :(. My DS 1 who is now 3 fed once a night until he was 13 months old :/. Xx

Offline JulieHuf

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 16:41:16 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement! I guess what is frustrating is that he was sleeping through the night just fine and then this started! I'm breastfeeding and yes I do a DF. I am trying to increase the amount of milk I pump for the DF. But I can only seem to get 4 oz. any advice?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:42:32 am »
When are you doing your pumping?

Offline JulieHuf

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 16:13:03 pm »
Right before I do the DF- around 10:45.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:52:07 am »
Will he do the df from the breast and not from the bottle?  It's the easiest way to up your supply (if that's necessary) and get some more into him -- I df from the breast with all 3 of mine. 

If you do need to pump, I might try to pump earlier (around 10) and then again at your usual time (10:45) -- or try to pump halfway between your two morning feeds (if you're able to, it's hard to fit it in!) as supply tends to be higher at that point in the day.  Also, make sure you're eating/drinking enough as the day goes on, as it's harder to maintain supply later on in the day.