Author Topic: 15 month old won't sleep alone  (Read 819 times)

Offline michcabby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2014, 18:00:09 pm »
So from a young age, I used PUPD to get my little one to sleep without being rocked/held. It worked well, she'll go to sleep without much help from me. The problem is that she will not fall asleep unless I am next to her. I've tried sitting on a chair near her crib and gradually moving it further and further away over the course of a week, but she wouldn't have it. I would do PUPD but she was so upset she wouldn't even nap at all.
Now that she's 15 months old, I'd like to get her to the point where I can put her in her crib and walk away. How do I do that?!

Note: She's a very spirited child. Determined, emotional, stubborn.. Every second of sleep training has been extra challenging!

Offline HenaV

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
Re: 15 month old won't sleep alone
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:36:45 am »
Hi!

So when you did pu/pd you still stayed so she's used to having you there while she falls asleep?

If so, then I think GW is the only answer and perservere, your resolve needs to be stronger than that of your LO. If she's spirited and stubborn, show her what that really means and don't give in, no matter what. You will get there.

I've never done GW (only Wi/WO as my LOs is an iS) but from what you're decribing, you're doing hen right thing.

Stick with it.

Hth x

Offline michcabby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 22:18:00 pm »
Thanks! What does GW stand for? And Wi/WO? Sorry, I'm an oldie at heart ;)

Offline HenaV

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:59:34 am »
Sorry, I saw you used PUPD and assumed that you would know the rest.

Wi/WO = walk in/walk out
GW= gradual withdrawal

Check out the link below, all will be explained

H

Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 20:20:18 pm by HenaV »

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:29:37 am »
Hey! My DD co-slept. I did all kinds of stuff to get her to start sleeping in her crib at 12 month. It took until 15 months I was far enough in where I had to start either walk in walk out or gradual withdrawal. I went with the sleep lady shuffle. Started with the chair close to the bed and moved it closer to the door, moving every 2-3 days. Times  to fall asleep got shorter everyday until one night she screamed for almost 2 hours, I was there with her, talking to her some and helping her some but then I'd have to step away. It was absolutely miserable.  At that point I knew... All that screaming was just about her having her way. The next night I laid her down and walked out. She cried a little bit and then fussed, and after 20 minutes total, she was asleep!!

I don't know if that is what is right for your LO, so I don't want to tell you to walk out on her. You need to do what you can handle, use your judgement. I didn't want to but when it came to the point where it was just a tantrum, I think it was ok for me to put my foot down. I'd take 20 minutes of her crying alone over watching her scream and cry for 2 hours because she just wants me sitting next to her bed.

Gradual withdrawal is harder on those transition nights, where you move farther away, that's just the way it is.
-Laura