Author Topic: 21.5 mo naps went wackadoodle!  (Read 930 times)

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 22, 2007, 19:02:10 pm »
My 21.5 mo lo used to nap for three hours, from about 1-4.

then last week, he suddenly stopped napping--I haven't changed anything!-- in the last two weeks, he has taken maybe three naps of about 1.5 to 2 hours. the other times he plays in bed, talks to his stuffed bears, etc. he's not screaming to be let out, but I can't figure out what happened.

Yesterday, I asked him if he was tired when i got him out of his crib and he nodded. then when I went out in the car with him, he fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

I know he still needs the nap for that reason- and also because he is now very clingy and grumpy and tempermental towards the end of the day.

I am thoroughly perplexed- he isn't cutting teeth or anything-- any ideas???

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Offline ks6

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 19:06:45 pm »
Ds is 18.5 months and is doing the same thing.  :o  Our naps were just under 2 hours a day, but should their naps disappear that quickly?  I'll be hanging around to see if anyone has any ideas.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 19:36:16 pm »
My 27 month old did this recently. I think it's a combination of the toddler temperment(pushing boundaries and exerting control) coupled with entering a stage where sleep requirements in general seem to lessen ( which always seem to be the prime times for things to go wackadoodle).  What has been happening with night sleep?   

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 19:39:08 pm »
He's still sleeping through the night- wetting through his diaper very single night (ugh),---- wait a second....he does seem to stay up a little later talking to himself in the evening. i'd forgot about that! (he doesn't need me- just chatting, so i ignore it).

so, assuming this is a "stage," how long do you think it will last?

e

Offline dmills

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 20:38:25 pm »
I agree that the stages and ages thing takes place.  I know my 28 month old went from sleeping 11.5 hours a night and taking a 3 hour nap to 10 hours a night and an hour and a half nap suddenly about two months ago.  No changes and I haven't any idea how to change it.
dmills

lilmonkey

Re: 21.5 mo naps went wackadoodle!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 20:40:24 pm »
Have you try extending his awake time?  Dd did this too.  I found that she needed to stay awake for about 6 or 6.5 hrs (depending on how active her morning was) before feeling tired enough to go to sleep.  On days she didn't nap, dd just have a earlier bedtime (1 hr early - it didn't affect her awake time at all).  I think that it took me about 1-2 weeks before things went back to normal with her taking her naps consistently.  Although I had to shorten the length to 2 hrs as her bedtime was getting pushed back whenever she takes a 3hrs nap.