Author Topic: Mom's of spirited babies - short naps?  (Read 950 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: January 23, 2007, 18:24:55 pm »
I know there is a thread on spirited babies and NW but I am wondering about naps.  PJ took good naps the last 2 days.  Our mornings have been inside the house.  Sort of boring, house play, a little tv. 

THis morning we did more of what we usually do which is a play group in the morning.  We only stayed for 45 min but it is at a library and a very busy area w/ a HUGE variety of stations and toys.   THere are a ton of other babies/toddlers there.

We got home, he had lunch, a little quiet play, a nice poop  ;D, and 3 books.  Fell asleep for his nap in about 2 minutes which is not unusual.  But woke screaming 1h5 min later!!  I am wondering if this is just his normal as of late (which is completely wacked in a nutshell!!) or could it be the activity? 

I am just so sick of him being overtired from either lack of night or lack of day sleep.  He had an ok night last night (11.25 hours) and a nice morning where he didn't seem cranky.  Ah, too good to be true.  So now we have to pay this afternoon.  I feel bad for him that he can't seem to get the rest he needs to be a nice boy.  It makes me sad that this is always such a struggle for him.

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: Mom's of spirited babies - short naps?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 18:52:26 pm »
Hugs Meg I know exactly what u mean. Same story here, seems highly unlikely to get both good nights and days! Naps are shorter and shorter and I cannot seem to extend them arrgghhh

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 19:00:41 pm »
Sorry all, just more ramblings from a crazed mom.

I just wish I could have complete control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(just kidding sort of)

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 21:01:21 pm »
It sounds weird but I sometimes think that they are, or at least feel, more tired if they have been a bit sleep deprived but then have a good sleep.  I know I sometimes feels this way!  Actually now that I think about it, I think Weissbluth's book talks a bit about this.  Sorry, I digress.

So he may have felt a bit tired from his good night's sleep and then with the activity he may have just been a wee bit overtired at his nap.  Early bedtime tonight should help.

Complete control??  i think that I would be grateful for just having an occasional influence!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 16:01:33 pm »
Yesterday this happened to us - Marisa had a GREAT night of sleep Monday (nearly 12 hours, almost unheard of for her) and then went to her gym class Tuesday at 10:40. She fell right asleep at 12:45 but only slept 1.25 hours instead of her usual 2+. Not sure if it was the extra activity/stimulation or that she didn't need so much more sleep after such a long night, or both. She is also in a toddler play class at our temple Thursday mornings and generally takes a long nap after that.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 16:26:07 pm »
Our naps were almost always short for the first year and then slowly got better.  If anything, it seemed that she took better naps if she had a busy morning--I think it just takes a lot to wear her out.  But that was after she was running around--and it still doesn't always work.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11