Author Topic: 6 wk old not napping well--move to 4 hour EASY?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline joyfulmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
6 wk old not napping well--move to 4 hour EASY?
« on: May 12, 2006, 19:36:42 pm »
My six week old bottlefed boy does not nap well in the middle of the day (between 10:00 -1:00..sometimes from 10:00-7:00 no good nap).  However, he sleeps pretty well after 9:00 feeding, only waking at 2:45 and 6-7 am.  In fact, the last two nights I laid him down for bed at 7:30pm, waking him at 9:00.  Should I try a 4 hour schedule to make him nap better?  Or should I wait until he sleeps through night?  Also, he is over 12 pounds and drinking 24 -26oz during day, Can I try to drop 2:45am feeding yet?

Thanks

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 6 wk old not napping well--move to 4 hour EASY?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 21:40:13 pm »
No don't drop the night feed yet. He's still to young and small for that :)

As for the 4 hour routine I think he may be to young yet. How soon after he wakes up do you get him down for a nap? He may just need less A time.
Do you have a routine in place? if so can you send it here and it may help us help you :)
Kimberly

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 01:03:10 am »
I have tried a number of things for A time.  I tried 45 min, 1 hour, even putting him down right after he eats (30 min).  Our day looks something like this:

E 6:30-7:30
A 7:30-815/830
S 830-1000--No cryiung/ no fussing.  Cooed a little.

E 1000
A 1000-1100
S 1100-----I ususally lay him down at one hour of awake time or even 45 minutes but he screams for 20 minutes, sleeps 10, screams again..so on and so forth.  Today I went and got him up after two or three cycles of this.  he stayed awake until next feeding very content in his bouncy seat.

E 100
A 100-215
S 215-415.  Fussy when I put him down. Cried but eventually fell asleep with paci ( had to go in a couple times.  I had to wake himat 4:15.  He cried out once at 1 hour mark then went back to sleep with paci.

E 415
A 415-530
S 530-tried to put down when he got a little fussy and yawned.  Screamed and screamed, went in and he was wide awake.  Stayed awake and content in swing until next feeding

E 6:45
A 6:45-7:30
S 7:30 Went straight to bed. No crying, no fussing.

E 9:00-9:30

E 2:45

Sometimes he gets up at 5:00 (usually during growth spurt).

I am open to any advice you can give me.  I would loove it if he would nap well especially in the afternoon.

Thanks

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 20:39:39 pm »
Today, he didn't even go down for his morning nap after 6:30.  he cried and cried until I got him up, then he was fine.  I need help!!! How long do I let him cry for naps?  I have been letting him go for 10 minutes.  I'm at my witts end.  I need daytime rest.  Am I feeding too much...He's getting 30 ounces in 24 hour period?

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 21:35:34 pm »
Don't leave him cry at all. If he cries pick him up and try to do pat/shh to settle him. 30oz in 24 hours sounds about right. I wrote up a routine for you to try. Try it for a few days and let me know how it goes and we'll make ajustments. It takes 3-5 days to really see results so just keep with it if you can. Don't give up. We'll firgure this out.

6:30am Feed
7:15am Nap
9:30am Feed
10:15am Nap
12pm Feed
12:45pm Nap
3pm Feed
3:45pm Nap
6pm Bedtime routine (whatever settles your LO for the night)
6:30pm Final feed
Bed no later then 7pm
Dream feed at 10:30pm

This routine is very flexable and can be changed to meet your LO's wake up times. Idealy you want 3 long naps of 1.5 hours. Try pat/shh or even a paci if need be to settle. Paci's at his age are a great tool to help teach self soothing. Don't leave your LO to CIO at all, its just going to make things worse not better, especially at such a young age, here we advocate no CIO, there are better ways. I know this is going to be a lot of work, believe me I understand. But if you start now its going to be a lot easier. Make sure you have him back down for a nap 30-45 minutes after wake up, find the time that works for him. At his age A time is best left to just a short cuddle or even a diaper change. Your LO is overtired thats why he wont sleep. Mine was the same way. He's doing really good with the night waking :) So now we need to incorperate that into day sleep. Be warned untill he's used to this he may wake more at night. Thats normal, mine did to. If that happens wait a few days to see if this stops if it doesn't you can start moving to 2 long naps of 1.5 hours and 1 nap of 45 minutes about an hour before bedtime.
Let me know how things go.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 00:36:41 am »
Thank you so much!!  I will keep you posted.  I fed my LO at 4:00, laid him down at 4:45 and he slept until 5:45 w/out any intervention!! Fed at 6:45, laid down at 7:15, he's still talkin but no crying.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 01:56:49 am »
Josie didn't nap worth a darn her first 3 months. Letting her cry would have given us a baby afraid of her own bed, which may be part of the problem with your DS if he's freaking out till you take him out of bed. Josie eventually was diagnosed w/reflux, and once we started meds, she was a whole different baby who slept and was rested and happy and less Touchy. In the meantime, I found this coping technique.

This is not a BW technique, BUT I did find that it gave me some much-needed rest when the naps weren't happening and I had horrible PPD and REALLY REALLY needed a break: I let her sleep on her belly on my belly. The few times we did that, we would sleep together for THREE HOURS, so peaceful and restful. I do strongly recommend peeing before napping this way (the voice of experience here :-\), but when nothing else would do, this DID help. Did it once on the sofa (crick in my neck from that LOL), once or twice on her floor on a mat (I was sleeping there nights as DH had had shoulder surgery and snored like crazy too :(), and a couple times on our bed during the day with lots of pillows (most comfortable for all involved). I still resort to that at my parents' place when Nat wakes at 2AM and won't settle otherwise (DH still snores and sleeps elsewhere when we visit them LOL).

Meanwhile, if your LO is showing any of the signs of reflux, it might be worth getting him evaluated for it - check the reflux board for symptoms. If he has it, diagnosis and medication can make a HUGE difference! Otherwise, 6 weeks is a growth spurt and may also be a developmental leap for him, either of which can wreak havoc on sleep schedules.

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 12:42:32 pm »
Deb,  Thanks for the advice.  i looked at the symptoms and he has almost half of them.  I'm going to his Ped tomorrow.  But the schedule is already helping.  I put a wedge in his bed.  He still fusses but not as much as when I laid him flat.  I feel terrible about the CIO, I was listening to too many mothers of Angel babies telling me that he will cry himself to sleep.  I knew it wasn't right or him.  Thanks for your encouragment!!  This site is a life saver!!

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 15:15:25 pm »
Karita,

I followed the schedule you gave me almost exactly.  The only time I missed the was the late afternoon nap before his 6:30pm feeding.  I waited too long and he got very overstimulated and fussed until I fed him.  That's a hard time (dinner time) and usually my 3 year old wants alot of attention then.

You were right.  He did wake up more often last night.  Once at 1:30 and then at 5:00.

I have a few questions.

I notcied he is going shorter between feedings at night (3 hours instead of 4 or 5).  Should I feed him at 6:30, then at 9:30 so that the last two feedings are three hours apart instead of four? Or will that make a difference?  How long did it take your LO to get back on track at night?

How will I know when to extend the awake time?   He has been talking for about 15 minutes before fussing when I lay him in his bed.

I put in the paci alot to get him settled.  Is this not a prop?  Will he eventually not need ot to lay down for a nap?

Thank you for all your help!!!
Stacey

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 15:51:11 pm »
I completly understand. DD is my first child but I've seen and heard from many moms of more then one. All you can do is do what you can :) Every little bit helps.
Was the day better though following the routine?

If you start feeding him every 2-2.5 hours during the day he'll start going longer at night without a feed. Try to feed regular 2-2.5 hours during your daytime routine, then when he wakes at night aswell. At this time, with him only being 6 weeks feed at everynight waking, in a few weeks try to settle the first waking with pat/shh or PU/PD, if it doens't work feed and try again in a couple more weeks.

It took my DD about a week to get back on track when I first started.

At this age the Paci is fine. I wouldn't worry about it untill he is 3-4.5 months old.
Kimberly

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 00:59:02 am »
The schedule is awesome.  He has really caught on to the naps (in the morning) and to bedtime.  Last night he ate at 7:45, 10:45 and 4:30.  Then, he woke at 7:30.  It was awesome.  The only problem is after I feed him at 1pm, he only sleeps fro 45 min and then sreams.  He will not calm down.  It seems like gas.  Then he does the same thing after 4pm, however he usually dosen't take any nap until bedtime.  I went to the Doc and she said it's colic.  She wants me to put him on Gentlease.  I hope this helps!!!  I would like to get a longer nap after 1pm.  Is there a way to do that?  MAybe feed him more in morning or not let him sleep so long in morning ( gets two 1 1/2 hour naps before 1)?

That evening fussy time is really hard with no nap after 1 pm.  I find myself freaking out by rthe time my DH gets home.   Please tell me this gets better!!!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 01:26:01 am »
Unfortunitly with colic there's little you can do. Did your DR check for reflux? thats treatable. Try the new formula, and give your LO gas drops. That should help.
Kimberly

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 14:55:10 pm »
UPDATE...The change in formula worked wonders as did the routine.  He is consistantly going down for naps without screaming.  He is like a totally different child.He only cries when he is hungry and when he is ready to get out of his room.  He now squills when he's ready for nap and then lays right down!!! thank you for your help!!!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 16:00:47 pm »
I'm so happy to hear that things have gotten so much better for you :) I'm glade I could help.
Kimberly

Offline DawnU

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 08:26:57 am »
Hi Karita / Stacey,

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I've been reading it with a lot of enthusiasm as the situation / schedule you posted, Stacey, is almost identical to the problem I'm currently having with my 5 1/2 week old DD.  Anyway, yesterday I started trying to implement the new routine that was written but was wondering if it's recommended to wake baby for the DF?  If I put my LO down btw 7:00-7:30pm, she will just sleep straight through until about 1:00am and then wake again around 3:30am and 6:30am.  I'd prefer to give her the DF if that means she'll cut out one of the 3 middle of the night feeds and sleep longer, but wasn't sure if we should be "waking to feed".

Thanks for the help and suggestions - I'm really looking forward to seeing if this schedule will help get her into a routine as she's been all over the place since she was born and I didn't know what to do!

Beth x

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 11:40:53 am »
Beth;  Do a dreamfeed at about 10:30-11pm. The point of a dreamfeed is to NOT wake the baby. Tricky, but if you can do it it'll really help. If however you do a dreamfeed and she wakes then just feed her anyway, if she falls asleep on that feed then thats great. Sounds like your on the right track :)
Kimberly

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 18:39:31 pm »
That's so funny...our children should meet.  I was trying to do the dreamfeed as suggested in the schedule but about a week ago My Husband and I stopped bacause he was impossible to wake and when he would , he would barely drink an ounce and he would still wake at 1 or two.  So, we decided to try to see how far he would go w/out the dream feed.  1st night..12:50, then 5:00, then 7:45 ( I woke him).  2nd night...2:00, then 5:30, then 8:00 ( I woke him).  3rd night...2:00 then 6:00. that went on for two nights.  Last night he went until 1:00 and then 6:30.  He wakes up at 5:00 and talks sometimes but then falls back to sleep.  He is 8 weeks on Friday so I am hoping he keep the big 7-8 hour stretch.  I do wish it were from 10-6 but we may try that again later.  My husband and I switch off nights (joys of bottle feeding).  If he feels he can't do it, I go to bed around 8:00.

Any ideas when you can expect a baby to go 10-11 hours at night?

Now our problem is 45 minute naps, he goes down so easily in the mornings now but wakes at 45 minutes.  He will sleep longer in the afternoon but fusses for about 30-45 minutes before actually falling asleep.  I keep going in and putting in the paci until he finally drifts off.

Good luck to you I hope this helps!!

Offline joyfulmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 18:53:59 pm »
Karita,

Since it is so hard for my lo to eat even an ounce of formula during the DF, do you suggest I try it again?  How long does it take to work?

Also, the Wake to sleep method, how long does that usually take to get them to nap longer?  Is it meant to break a habit of 45 minute naps?

Sorry, I know these are not Bottlefeeding questions anymore but you have been such help!!!

Thank you!!!
Stacey