Author Topic: 1st time Mum and breastfeeding  (Read 1323 times)

Offline cm201085

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:04 am »
Hi

i am a 1st time mum to my gorgeous 7week old daughter.
I am obviously breast feeding for the 1st time. And trying the E.A.S.Y routine.
I haven't quite got a routine as such, i have been writing it down in the easy way but i have just been tying to observe her for a fortnight.

Although my problem is...
She was feeding every 2hrs and i have now for it to 3 occasionally. Although her feeds and sleep are all over the place at minute.

And i feel i don't have enough milk. It is taking me 3hrs to get her down at night and all she is doing is wanting fed. I feel like my boobs are drained and sore and cant be anything left...like tonight i had bn trying to get her to sleep since half 10 and she would have wee catnaps for ins n wake back up starving again. Never got her down until 2.30am.
Im assuming this is a growth spurt as it happened on Tue, thur and Fri.
Any help or advice would be appreciated as i am feeling a bit hopeless at minute and feel like giving up but i don't want to.
Carrie

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 1st time Mum and breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:55:10 am »
Hi! That really does sound like a growth spurt! The thing is with all her feeding she is just signalling your body to make more of the good stuff.  At such a young age, with regards to following EASY and bf as long as you are separating the E from S with a wee bit of awake time (like a diaper change and a bit of play) you will be on the right track. I feed on demand and still follow EASY so it is never an exact time but more a pattern to follow.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 20:14:55 pm »
Sounds very normal. Check out our FAQ on growth spurts. "Is this a Growth Spurt?  How can I meet my Baby's needs?"

It also sounds like baby could be OT. Most LOs do better with a BT B7-8pm so if you are just starting to put her to sleep at 10.30 she is likely very OT already. A good rule of thumb is to aim for BT about 12hrs after they start the day. At this age they can usually just about handle 1hr15 of A time before needing a nap again. "Is this a Growth Spurt?  How can I meet my Baby's needs?"

It is common to have unsettled periods in the evening. Do you have a consistent wind down routine? There are helpful ideas here if you need to establish one. What does a good wind down consist of (Includes 4S ritual)

Also have a look at this FAQ on starting easy Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!

It will get better soon. Hugs.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline cm201085

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 00:53:29 am »
Hi

this was today...

E.  8.20am
A.  8.45am
E.  9am
A.  9.15am
S.  9.30am
Y. 

E. 12pm
A. 12.20pm.
E. 12.30pm
S.  12.50pm

E.  3.30pm
A. 3.45pm
S.  4pm
Y.

E.  4.45pm
A.  5pm
E.  5.30pm
S.  6pm

bathed her at half 6.

E.  7.10pm
A.  7.25pm
S.  7.35pm
Y.

E.  9.20pm
A.  9.40pm
E.  10pm
A.  10.30pm
S.  10.45pm
E.  11pm

it is now 12.45am and she is still up feeding. I made her bath earlier in hope she would go down earlier. Altho not really working as such...
i will look at the wind down thread.
thanks

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:24:23 am »
Is she feeding or sucking for comfort do you think? How does she go down for naps?

Oh and some lo's find bath too stimulating -DD2 did so I sponge bathed her in the morning until she was 6 months old and able tonhandle a bedtime bath.
Heidi

Offline cm201085

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:57:31 am »
Hi

yes she definitely sucks for comfort sometimes. As she is terrible for going on and falling asleep after five minutes. I used to just put her back in Moses but by doing that she was up every 2hrs. So i started to wake her and put her back on. Then i read the baby whisperer and she says to do activity after E. So they learn to fall asleep on there own.

Sometimes naps aren't too bad although it can take a while to get her down as well.  Lately she has been sleeping more during day but i think its cause of the growth spurt.  Im more frustrated at night as she is up and down and up and down.  And when she is absolutely shattered and doesn't know what to do with herself she wont fall asleep, she thinks she is hungry but i think she wants on to use me as a dummy as in 2mins shes sleeping usually.

we have tried to give her a dummy but she gags n spits it out.
ill try not giving her a bath one night and see how that goes. I had bn bathing her in morning before as  she didn't like the bath at night when she was just out hospital.

xx