Author Topic: Increasing milk supply  (Read 2781 times)

Offline mamacourt

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 01, 2014, 15:11:25 pm »
Hello! I'm new to the forums. My 3rd LO will be four months old on Thursday. He's been really easy up to this point, but lately has been doing a lot of crying. After a yield I realized my milk supply is down, so I'm trying to pump to help increase it. I'm using the method of pumping an hour after a feed. My question is, how long do I pump?  Also, right now he's eating on both sides each time so should I pump on both sides too?  Thanks in advance.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Increasing milk supply
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 16:18:20 pm »
There is a pretty big growth spurt at 4 months...perhaps he is just extra hungry because of that? A yield is actually not a good indicator of your supply really, have a look at this sticky:

I'm worried I may have low milk supply

Sorry I cant be of any help regarding pumping - I was never successful at it!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 19:18:50 pm »
Do you think he is crying because he is hungry? How often are you feeding him? Are you feeding on his hunger cues or are you trying to stick with a schedule?

Could he be crying due to being tired or in pain/discomfort rather than hunger?

As Heidi said the yield test is now known to be irrelevant in indicating supply. We like to think Tracy would have updated her advice to reflect this had she still been with us.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 20:01:08 pm »
Regarding pumping, there are many options:
- try 7-5-3 method, both sides; you pump 7min L side, then 7min R side, then 5min L side and so on and so on; altogether 30 min, 15 for each side
- just after feeding pump breast you where using for 10min even if there is no milk coming, you do not have to do it for every feeding, 4x a day would be enough, 2x for each side
For both methods it takes about 48h to increase milk supply.

Other methods are easier... Just feed your child more often or change sides 3-4times during a feed.
Also 48h should be enough to increase milk supply.
~Marta

Offline mamacourt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 19:32:01 pm »
Thank you all so much! I first started noticing the supply issue when he would get mad and pull back from the breast. He will not go back on the breast but if I changed sides he'll start going to town again. I was trying to get him on a routine, but he was/is being very resistant. I will try one of those other pumping methods. Thanks so much!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 19:47:20 pm »
I have the same issue and I do not use any pumping method:) but offer to my son second side. Always:). When he is hungry he takes both and drink all, when he is less hungry it is enough for him to take one. There is nothing wrong with offering to your kid both sides, but remember to keep him long enough to the first side so he takes both phases of milk and remember to start next feed from other breast so every time one breast is empty.
~Marta

Offline mamacourt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 19:59:18 pm »
He only nurses about five minutes on one side before he refuses to nurse from that side again. That's why I'm worrying about my supply. I don't know that he's on long enough to get the hind milk.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 20:19:19 pm »
Will he go back in the original side after taking the second?

Do you have a fast spray/letdown?

Or could he be getting frustrated with slowing of the flow? If so breast compressions might help keep him interested. Check out this FAQ for info in doing these. Breast compression

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 20:35:23 pm »
You have to look out if he is not taking only I-phase milk but do not panic. How often does he make a poo? If drinking only I-phase milk, he would only pie not make any poos. If he takes on weight properly and make a poo 3-4 times a day, it may be as Ali suggest - so you have fast let down. My son drinks about 10min each side so also quite shortly but he doesn't want more so I offer second breast.
You may also offer once again first side to stimulate milk flow for future. This is natural version of 7-5-3 method.
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 21:40:07 pm »
The frequency of poos varies greatly between babies and also changes as they get older. At 4 months old it can be perfectly normal to poo much less often than every feed. Some EBF babies go a few days without a poop.

My EBF DS2 pooped about 5-6 times a day at 3mo, 2-3 times a day at 4mo (he was having 6-7 feed) and twice a day at 6mo (prior to starting solids). I just looked back at my posts about the early pottying we did from 3mo so that should be accurate btw.

So you don't necessarily need to worry if he isn't pooping a certain number of times a day.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 22:02:52 pm »
E pooped only once a week or so from 4 weeks to 5 months old (we introduced formula then).
Heidi

Offline mamacourt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 22:20:27 pm »
He usually only poos a few times a week. He will usually only return to the first side for a couple sucks then he gets mad.  I think my letdown is pretty slow.  I know he's getting frustrated, but he is very stubborn about being impatient. I will read the thread about compressions. Thank you all for your help!

Offline mamacourt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 00:30:11 am »
I just started my period. It was about now with my older DS as well. Could that effect my supply?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:20 am »
Of course girls are right! I thought that maybe it will comfort you if he is actually making a lot of poos, but it's definitely not an argument for any panic or problem.

I cannot help with info about getting period, but I guess that one of the most problematic thing hre is that you must not panic as THIS WILL affect your supply. If you are sure in your mind that there is no milk for your child, you will make that happen finally & your LO will feel your mood. I was in this loop couple of times until someone tolf me "hey, stop making panic!".
Try to comfort yourself before feeding. When he is on your breast - talk to him slowly, comfort him with your voice. Even when he is fighting with you, make some pause and try again. Maybe try different feeding position. And think positively and talk to your child "hey little one, there is plenty milk for you but you cannot be so impatient".

Remember that even if you milk supply is/was low, it takes only about 2 days to increase it. And even if you are not successful that's also fine - there are milion of solutions how to feed you baby and there will be nothing wrong if you will decide on one.

I am sure everything will be all right. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 07:27:57 am »
Yes many ladies report a temporary dip in supply and possibly a change in the taste of the milk too when they get their cycles back. It is temporary and if you keep feeding frequently that will help.

There are many tips in increasing your supply in the link Heidi posted in the first reply :)